Southwest plane evacuated after Samsung Note 7 catches fire. It was a recall replacement

I take it you’ve never owned a mac? I mean, sure they don’t catch fire, but the reason apple care is so popular is because so few of them survive the first 3 years.

1 Like

Baloney. My desktop at home is a perfectly functional 2009 mac. My media server is a 2006 mac mini.

3 Likes

My MacBook Pro lasted 8 years, my current MacPro has had zero issues since I bought it in 2008, and my MacBook Air has worked flawlessly for three years. Macs are known for their durability and longevity, not their delicacy.

3 Likes

White people are allowed to look out the window. Brown people must travel as checked baggage, or agree to travel with a sack over their heads.

2 Likes

I thought it was the traveling with a sack over their heads that was perceived as being the problem?

4 Likes

Huh, who would have thought that the “Halt and Catch Fire” code was part of Android.

4 Likes

did they also implement lp0 on fire?

The absolute best part of the WP article is the use of [citation needed]

The message does not reliably indicate whether the printer in question is actually aflame.[citation needed]

Genius!

3 Likes

I believe his term was “Quality Fade”. Chinese Companies would bid under cost, get the contract, and start figuring out ways to eke out a profit by substituting substandard components.

2 Likes

My Note 2 had a replaceable battery, but my Note 5 doesn’t. It was pretty disappointing, but at least I didn’t spring for the Note 7.

Yeah having looked at the tear down, with a screen on both sides I can’t see where it will ever be easily serviceable.

ETA and double checking the box I have core prime. so who knows how old it is.

1 Like

My Note 2 is still going strong, but it was passed along to a person who had been using a very old Razr that the phone company was going to stop supporting. One of has to buy a new phone, so I volunteered. Hey, I’m a freelancer/very-small-business and it is my business phone, so it’s a write-off. When the time comes to upgrade again… I don’t know what I’m gonna do. I dislike iPhones, even though I’ve been a Mac user since the 80s.

3 Likes

Well it is new to me and was brand new in the box. They were out of the smaller LG and at least for a phone the big screen doesn’t do it for me I would rather have a tablet proper.

1 Like

Samsung is pushing the energy density too high in pursuit of skinny phones, and is putting people at risk and ruining their reputation as a result.

Add 1mm in thickness and the cell could be much, much safer (at equal capacity)

my Galaxy Prime got extra scrutiny

Dammed profiling!

1 Like

I had 3. I guess I had bad luck. Every single one of them required a major expensive repair, which was fortunately covered by apple care. I understand their build quality has improved in the last 5 or so years, but I’ve already given up.

Chinese? How do you think outsourcing works? Just replace “components” with “services” and that’s every outsourcing company of large size in the world.
The market can punish defective Chinese companies but companies like - redacted for lawyer reasons - and so on are too big to be punished.

The other thing with the Chinese - they make things like iPhones to a price and are pushed on margin. Then they look at how things are priced in the West. Then they think about cutting out the middleman. With tinfoil hat on, and with Chinese electronic products now as good as most of them are, a major screw up by Apple or Samsung may work to their advantage. I don’t expect that shareholders in Huawei or Xiaomi are saddened by the Note 7 story.

Yes, the same genius marketplace that’s pushing their stock to new all time highs, as their flagship product burns… The market is never wrong.

I don’t think it is just Samsung. Also - fast charge. I am unworried about fast charge because I have a spare battery, in case the battery dies. If the case pops off under charging, replace battery fast and employ fire blanket. But fast charging will reduce the service life of lithium batteries due to greater thermal shock. Which of course will reduce the life of phones, along with failures to deliver security updates etc.
It’s a battle between us and them. They tell people what they want (thin! light!) and don’t mention the downsides. People buy into it. They tell people the kind of cars they want (big! heavy! fast!) because that’s where the margins are. There’s a pretty big marketing industry dedicated to weighing up what people need on the one hand, and how they can be persuaded to spend more money on high margin products on the other, and it’s pretty clear which way the pendulum swings.

2 Likes

In the RC hobby industry you generally trade density for safely quick charging and high-current discharging.

The iPhone’s “fuel-efficiency” is Apple’s secret weapon in the skinny phone wars. No Android device can function with such a low capacity battery as apple can manage…

It’s not. That’s a TouchWiz feature. :laughing:

2 Likes