Spaaaaace

its a very good read. again. thank you, cory.

2 Likes

4 Likes

The Nube dwarf galaxy (center) has an unusually low concentration of stars that does not fit with our understanding of the universe. (Image credit: GTC/Mireia Montes)

Scientists have discovered an “almost invisible” dwarf galaxy that cannot be explained by our current understanding of the cosmos. The mysteriously faint object, which has evaded detection for years, is so dim that researchers haven’t even been able to pin down exactly where it is.

The newfound galaxy, named Nube (or “cloud” in Spanish), was described in a study published Jan. 9 in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics. Nube is extremely diffuse, which means that its stars are very spread out and, as a result, the galaxy emits barely any light. It is around 10 times fainter than most other known dwarf galaxies and is more than 10 times wider than it should be considering the number of stars it has. …

…Nube is so faint that the team cannot accurately pin down its exact distance from our own galaxy. The researchers suspect that it is around 300 million light-years from the Milky Way, and around a third of the size across. But further observations are needed to confirm this. …

[Brief tangent:

Had a delightful, silly, brilliant, bizarre, expensive-looking black street rescue kitty whom I named Anubis w/in 20 mins of our meeting. Our beasties always have many nicknames, and a few of hers included Anubie, Nubie, and Nube {but pronounced ‘noob’}. Hence the name bestowed upon this strange, dark galaxy tickles me on several levels.]

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Perhaps they should wait a few days:

2 Likes

John Deere hasn’t commented on the agreement, only reposting Starlink’s tweet and an additional one from SpaceX boss Elon Musk, who described it as “great for farmers.”

that should ring some big alarm bells; now farmers can get fucked over by JD and musk together.

heavens and earths masters will demand whats rightfully theirs. /s

5 Likes

its so stupid; with a payload they would have made it never to orbit; tanks were almost empty as the second stage reached barely 149 km. with payload I doubt they would have even reached 140 km. its already too heavy, even without the somewhat 1200 t of fuel and a payload of allegedly 100 t.

2 Likes

5 Likes

not bad. but still not enough gibberish.

1 Like

Japan’s ‘Moon Sniper’ lands on lunar surface

5 Likes

I didn’t know about their cute little rolling robot. Looks like a star wars droid!

6 Likes

The baseball-sized robot will launch with ispace in 2022

Too bad Barry Bonds is retired or they could have saved a bundle getting that thing into orbit.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Unfortunately at least one analysis of the telemetry indicates that this lander may not be sitting in the correct orientation, and is losing power because the solar panels are pointed the wrong way:

It was supposed to do a tricky 90 degree flip and land on its side just moments before touchdown, rather rhan land engines-down. I don’t think I’ve ever seen another lander design that worked like that.

5 Likes

Dang, if only they’d installed lunar panels instead…

3 Likes

If this one continues to not work, I suspect you won’t see another one in the future, either.

5 Likes