Speaker Nancy Pelosi +174 House Democrats tell Trump's Postmaster General to reverse changes that threaten mail-in voting

The 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments?

We’ve already seen that threats of contempt of Congress is as toothless as their subpoena powers.

3 Likes

Fear not. If a mildly sternly worded letter expressing concern doesn’t get the job done, Congress is set to spring into action and follow it up with a fax expressing disappointment. .

3 Likes

Swiping your analogy. Playing for Team Chaos is a lot easier.

Unfortunately, no. A Dem Congress may impeach him again, and may even get a majority of votes in the Senate, but there is no chance that the Dems will have a large enough majority in the Senate to remove Trump from power unless a significant number of Republicans sign on.

1 Like

Yep, sure. They would need to actually follow through for it to have any meaning, and even then I doubt it do much but serve as fodder for the right-wing outrage machine. “Oh look, jailing their political opponents!” It’s why both sides have almost never used that power.

2 Likes

Overt is right. It definitely can’t be called a “conspiracy” at this point:

14 Likes

13 Likes

From

This… could work, actually! :joy:

25 Likes

This exact thing happened to me last week, and I wasn’t faking it. The same week one of my parent’s payments didn’t get where it was going. I think we are going to see enough of it that no one will have to pretend.

3 Likes

Write your congresscritters and to the white house to complain. Of course, it won’t get there until way too late…

6 Likes

Mitch probably thinks the USPS is some sort of communist activity anyway…

1 Like

Is he your senator? If so, your other one isn’t much better on that count. Nonetheless, communication with them still matters.

On a serious note, I DO think letter writing (as opposed to sending emails) is probably far more effective if you can get it to happen on a large scale, because it’s a physical representation of the people they represent writing in about an issue. It’s much harder to ignore a pile of letters than it is a mountain of emails.

9 Likes

I hope they sent that letter by courier. If they mailed it, DeJoy might not receive it until after the election.

There is always a chance… great or small.

1 Like

The House could be vastly more obstructive, but they don’t actually care. All funding bills originate in the House. ICE could have been defunded with the entire budget shifted to the SEC and ATF (just to irritate people). If the House wants these things to stop, they have to stop paying for them.

That is easily accommodated in the plan. They let a backlog build up (done) move the people who could reasonably be expected to fix the backlog out of their positions (done), then when they have to walk back the changes the backlog will already exist causing a disproportionate burden in urban areas.

They could, and it would make the problem worse. The 70 strike won the concessions they wanted in only 1 month. Even if the strike caused the restoration of sorting machines and policies in half that time you would still be looking at a backlog that would fall disproportionately on urban areas. A small delay in Milwaukee could easily swing the state (ballots need to be received by election day). Most of the states that are likely swing states require ballots received by election day. We’re only 81 days out and delays are already creeping up towards a week and those delays hit each step in the process, submission of request for a ballot (some states allow this one online), mailing of ballot to voter, and mailing of ballot to election office.

4 Likes
5 Likes

More about it, here.

2 Likes

If the House has the power of the purse, perhaps it’s time to shut the purse.

1 Like

Whats nuts is: 32 states will NOT accept mail-in ballots as valid if delivered after Election Day, however they are postmarked. (Yeah, they’re mostly red states.)

The fix is in.

3 Likes

She says “Vote by mail or vote early in person.”

Needs to change it to “Vote extra early by mail, or vote early in person.”

4 Likes