Anyone know how to say this in 'strine?

1 Like

6 Likes

“Don’t shove prawns in my didgeridoo and…”

“…and tell me that…”

“…that they’re…”

Yeah, I got nothin’.

3 Likes

Not really. I agree that POC are disproportionately targeted and killed by police, but they kill lots of white people too. It isn’t just a racism problem, it’s also an authoritarian problem as well.

6 Likes

Nothing the driver does here redounds to his ‘credit.’ The most grating was pulling out the ‘you’re picking on me because I’m a foreigner’ routine. A bit of little emperor syndrome here.

2 Likes

Do you even drive, bro?

3 Likes

Canadian (Toronto!) perspective:

1. The highway speed limit around here is 100Km/h. People drive at least 120Km/h, traffic notwithstanding. As in, all of them. If you are doing 100Km/h and aren’t in the right lane, you’re a road hazard (even in the right lane, you become a bit of a merging hazard). I hate any law or regulation that basically makes “normal” behaviour criminal “just because”, and the 400-series highways are a clear example of this.

2. “speed traps” where speed limits are slower for short periods suck. I know that some are there because of roadway restrictions (i.e., the bridge doesn’t allow a full shoulder) but that shouldn’t make them spots officers can sit at and just generate revenue, especially - again - when no one is travelling the posted speed limits, to begin with.

3. This officer was pretty awesome. He was matter-of-fact and did a great job of avoiding escalation wherever possible. I wonder if he’d have bothered to give the extra two citations if the camera hadn’t been there, but that’s beside the point, really. Kudos for a good job (even if I disagree with the very premise of the stop (see #2)).

3 Likes

Well, the cop and kid do know that they’re on camera – national TV – so I don’t think that this video necessarily indicates what’s typical. Heisenberg, and all that.

1 Like

Fake news.

8 Likes

That’s just a conspiracy theory to distract from the real fake country…

8 Likes

Well, that’s the US, for you. Here in Australia, we’re much more civilized :wink:

4 Likes

If they exited the vehicle or even failed to keep their hands on the wheel/visible at all times they would encounter the business end of numerous small arms.

I am an Australian who worked and lived in China for 2 and a half years. I was in a taxi once in the city of Hefei when the driver was pulled over by police for not having a valid registration on his vehicle. The driver was handcuffed and taken away immediately. I was left to find another taxi to get me to my destination.
This Chinese student knows what the consequences for his actions (inactions?) are. He had to pass a test to get his Australian driver’s licence and he DEFINITELY knows what the penalties are in his own country and they are far worse than fines. . He was just doing the usual “Oh, please give me chance. I stupid foreigner. No unnerstand” Bullshit.

Thank you. I was going to go find that!

2 Likes

When I got my learner’s permit (too many years ago now) there were five questions on the test that we had to get right. Getting any of them wrong meant an automatic fail.

One of those questions was, “How long do you have to notify [whatever the govt department was called then] of a change of address?” Things might have changed a bit since then, but not that much.

Then again, this guy still hasn’t figured Google out.

That’s because Australia’s not awash with trigger happy gun nuts.

1 Like

People with boats have a joke they like to share: “A boat is a hole that you throw money into.” We hear the joke and all have a laugh. A boat is fine for rich folks, we say, but they’re not for a normal citizen with a normal income. Then everyone buys a car.

A car is a hole that you throw money into.

3 Likes

Shhh… @Mister44 will hear you!

1 Like

Doesn’t have to be. Buy a cheap car, spend more money on Boba Fett collectables.

2 Likes

There was a “making a point” case quite a few years ago now on the 401, as it happens. Three truckers in tractor trailers lined up side by side and drove at exactly the speed limit. They were fined for obstructing traffic. Which was pretty much the point they were trying to make, though I’m not sure what came out of their making said point.

6 Likes