Spider-Woman cover that sparked outrage, and forced Marvel to apologize heads to auction

You can sexualise a teenage boy if you like but I prefer not to.

10 Likes

The new outfit certainly seems to have made Guy Gardner considerably more cheery.

7 Likes

It’s a breezy little number.

7 Likes

Into the Spiderverse,

This gals cosplay is on point!

10 Likes

Isn’t the Miles Morales character gay as well?

Definitely not a good example of the “both sides” fallacious argument.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that’s just a rumor started by Glenn Beck.

Nice, I remember an Ironman series where on the covers Tony Stark was mostly drawn in a style reminding of Tom of Finland.
Topless, glistening sweats or oily, moustache.

Are superhero comics sexualizing people? Sure as hell! But the Spiderwoman cover is not the problem, it’s not worse than many others.

There have for example been Blackcat covers that were in my opinion much more sexist (in underwear on the bed etc…)

Jesus Christ, no one wants to see Guy Gardner… pin up or otherwise…

Your personal opinion does not negate the needlessly hypersexual nature of the cover that’s actually the topic at hand.

6 Likes

My pants are yellow, so I can’t remove them myself…

4 Likes

You… who’ve written GL fan fic, haven’t you?

Honestly, Hal Jordan and/or John Stewart would be acceptable…

1 Like

If we posted more buff guys would it only be ok if they were covered in spandex or is that totally different?

4 Likes

14 Likes

Just because you can find worse examples, doesn’t mean this one isn’t bad.

There isn’t any one thing wrong with this cover. There are several things which many people looked at and were like o_0. The pose with out the painted on skin paint job and supper defined… I dont know what that part of the butt is called… could have been acceptable. A different pose would have been more acceptable. Maybe a similar pose but actually drawn well…

We will never know how this could have been fixed - but we can critique where it fails. We can also criticize Marvel Editorial for OKing it despite obvious flaws.

Critique is part of art. If you have taken any actual art classes - vs just a hobby - you will know critique is part of the process. “I don’t like it” isn’t good critique. But it has been enumerated by myself and several others why this piece fails. One is free to disagree, but you haven’t actually refuted points. “There is worse sexualization examples of comics aimed at the general market.” doesn’t refute the point this is overly sexualized for the general market.

3 Likes

Like anybody ever actually stands like that… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes, apparently Glenn Beck freaked out when he found out there was a biracial Spider-Man and basically said “What’s next? A GAY Spider-Man??” He then went on to posit that Michelle Obama was somehow behind this nefarious conspiracy.

Of course there ARE several Marvel characters who are canonically gay (including the “Ultimate” version of Colossus) but Miles isn’t among them, at least not yet.

7 Likes

Captain Marvel?
Asking for a friend.

4 Likes

Since there must be a dozen Marvel Captain Marvels, how can there not be?

4 Likes

Carol Danvers is canonically straight in the comics but at least one other “Captain Marvel” is a lesbian.

Apparently Valkyrie’s bisexuality is also going to be addressed more directly in the next Thor movie (Thor: Ragnarok initially included a scene of another woman leaving her bedroom but it didn’t make the final cut of the movie).

6 Likes

It’s pretty hard to date fictional characters anyway so I’m not particularly disappointed.
It would be creepier than that Spider Woman painting if I was.

6 Likes