Spider-Woman cover that sparked outrage, and forced Marvel to apologize heads to auction

Yes - at least they didn’t Rowling it and say 20 years later that the character was LGBT. They stated it during the discussions of the first film.

5 Likes

Yes. It is. You’ve been told why by several people why that’s the case.

Right!!!

6 Likes

yikes!
Green Lantern in the yellow tinies?!

4 Likes

Milo Manara is known as a master at drawing hawt babes, and most of his stuff is erotic. He’s a big name and Marvel obviously wanted that type of thing for the cover.

I think the auction attention is due to the controversy it raised rather than the quality of the art. It’s obviously not his best work.

He also did an X-Women book:

Some recent Manara women:

12 Likes

I love the essential workers series! Lovely. And if I’m not mistaken, I think he drew a sandman story, too?

I think to add insult to injury, the Spiderwoman cover just wasn’t any good. It’s like he was phoning it in.

9 Likes

Those X-women look like something out of Oglaf. But less funny.

4 Likes

Endless Nights: Desire

1 Like

Variant covers/chase covers are intended to provoke frenzy among completists and speculators – obviously Marvel thought they could froth up that frenzy by releasing images of the cover illustration without titles.

Without the hyper sexualised section it really draws attention to the flatness of the face which is often seen from Manara.

1 Like

Thank you! Also, makes sense!

2 Likes

I only peruse sexually-oriented publication for the incisive interviews, of course. Graphics don’t affect me. Because blind-ish.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.