Spitting anti-masker unceremoniously removed from bus

She won’t though, and nor will the thousands of other anti-maskers out there. It just pours fuel on the fire and amps everyone up. People will dig their heels in, and the insanity will just get worse. Maybe I am in a minority here, but I don’t like seeing people get hurt, even if they’ve tried to hurt me. And yeah, if there was an immediate threat to his life, a physical response would be appropriate.

4 Likes

Violence and anger is a great way of getting rid of fascists. We had a whole war about this. It turns out the only way to get rid of them is with anger and violence.

In fact, being nice to them and tolerant of them is a surefire way to die at their hands.

21 Likes

Half a block from the best Pho restaurant in Vancouver (Pho Le Do - in a very tight competition).

My kid got his first introduction to a likely lifelong appreciation of sushi at Tentatsu (in the video). Also near there, curried beef buns and bbq pork buns at a couple of Chinese bakeries. Awesome neighbourhood which I still miss occasionally.

4 Likes

I was talking about police response times in my first two paragraphs. that man did not assault me. I addressed human response to assault following that, as indicated by the word “secondly” in the third paragraph.

5 Likes

I’m a bit more optimistic. I’ve seen bullies figure out some self control after someone finally stands up to them. Not everyone is capable of learning, but many are.

I personally hate violence, to the point that I skip a lot of TV/movies because they’re just gross. As I said, I would not have physically attacked her over spit and disrespect.

But I find it utterly unsurprising that others would, and she won’t be surprised now either, assuming she continues her antisocial expectorative ways.

8 Likes

I’d like to see someone ceremoniously removed from a bus. Trumpet blasts, crashing of cymbals, burnt offerings, confetti.

20 Likes

I’m wondering if there was any sort of lead-up to this or whether she targeted him randomly, because he took issue with her masklessness and/or because of racism. (It appears he’s Asian - and unfortunately Asian people have been the frequent targets of racist attacks in the US and Canada lately, thanks to rhetoric about “the Chinese virus,” including being spit on.)

8 Likes

“Who wants to socially distance with the curb?”

4 Likes

“oh my god, what’s wrong with you?”

uh, someone just fucking spit on my face?

5 Likes

Counterpoint: fascist idiots want to have a monopoly on the use of force while their victims are restrained by notions of civility. Violence and anger is a great way to dispose of fascists.

(that said, I genuinely respect anyone that believes in nonviolence and puts it into action in their own life, I would never criticize that)

18 Likes

Personally, I think there’s a case to be made for carrying an emergency pump-spray bottle of isopropanol, for those occasions where something needs a quick spray to disinfect it…
…of course, it might sting a bit… :wink:

5 Likes

you know, it’s not just spit and disrespect. she could have put that man’s health at risk, spitting in his face like that. who knows whats in that spit? in my opinion, and i am also not a violent person by any means, she physically attacked that man and his somewhat measured reaction was to expel her from his presence. and i would have done the same.

13 Likes

Escalating violence has no place in a civil society. Especially punching down. We expect the police to use only proportional force and should expect the same from everyone.

Tell the bus driver you have been assaulted. He or she should stop the bus until the offender either leaves or the police show up. Don’t for a minute think that that battery is a good solution to inconvenience.

And yes I have been assaulted and battered in an apparent gang initiation ritual. There was a cop a block away and the perps were caught.

3 Likes

Ah yes, trusting and respecting cops is always a good decision. That never gets you shot 15 times in the back.

Also, this isn’t a case of punching down. Everyone involved is equal.

We have an antimasker spitter, and a normal person.

Are you implying being an antimasker makes her mentally disabled or something?

Stopping the bus and making everyone late because some dumb karen spat on someone isn’t a good solution. Ejecting her from the bus is probably the best course of action. People don’t have to be late, and don’t have to be exposed to her spitting.

14 Likes

If anyone has any doubts, look at what the 1930s fascists were saying about pacifists.

9 Likes

8 Likes

He was in immediate danger of infection with a deadly virus. He did nothing wrong.

12 Likes

Sorry but spitting on someone goes right to the old lizard brain processing section. I’d process that as; I’ve been attacked by someone unpredictable. She’s a clear and present danger to me and other people. Time for you to hop off the bus. I might mention to her that someone else might not only throw her off the
bus then throw her under it. Lots of people are feeling pretty edgy and anxious. This is a great time for being kind and polite to other folks. She might also process the interaction and decide to drop that behavior

7 Likes

i’m so glad that worked out for you. i guess that means we should all just relax about violent aggression occurring with impunity.

3 Likes

It didn’t work out for me. I had the same injuries I would have had if they got away.

No reason to relax about violent aggression. As to the impunity part yes please relax. Much violent crime will never be proportionally punished but karma has a way of catching up with the people who commit it eventually.

1 Like