Spreadable coffee is coming to Japan

I’d say worth trying, I’d try blending some with vanilla ice cream or yogurt.
if you ever run across them whole and freshly imported, then that is when you want to grab one and have the “durian experience” with a few adventurous friends, make some memories and laugh through the smell.

2 Likes

The first time I tried durian I left it on my patio to ripen while I went away for three days, just to piss off a neighbor. I had heard the phrase “death warmed over” before, but I never understood it until I smelled ripe durian. Then I ate it, and it was actually pretty good. It had the taste and texture of banana vanilla custard, and it’s definitely something I’d put in a smoothie or gelato.

3 Likes

I was never happier than when I had a fruit orchard.

Perhaps I should stop threatening to learn blue water sailing, just learn it, and settle on a South Pacific island with a durian tree.

5 Likes

I hope you like the smell of rotting garbage then, because that’s what one durian smells like. I can only imagine the tree.

3 Likes

That is a great way of putting it!

Having had durian at both ends of the spectrum (as well as along it), I suggest you try it again sometime. You probably just got a bad one. You will never shut up about it if you get to try one in the perfect moment of ripeness.

4 Likes

I guess they are heavily caffeinated.

Vegemite is a treasure. My own kiddo has liked it since she was 6 months old.

1 Like

When I lived in Hong Kong there were people that brought durian into work a lot. Those were not pleasant days.

4 Likes

I had a Nigerian co-worker once who was asked very nicely to please stop bringing her food into work to microwave. With an open-plan office, her pots of goat stew in fermented fish sauce were some of the most powerful stuff I’ve smelled. Not necessarily in a bad way, but wow, it was intense.

4 Likes

Ever smell a Ginko tree that’s dropped a bunch of fruit on the ground?

1 Like

It’s got to be one of those things that if you experience it at a young age (before you know better?), then it’s possible to love it.

I love black licorice, and my kid has eaten it since she was teeny. We’re both fond of it.

My Mom never fed me natto as a sprout, and I can only compare the taste to, well, I imagine that if you had a dog with severe colitis and pancreatic insufficiency who could only partially digest his food, and it came out slimy and mucousy, and you fed him soybeans… well… YUM!

My experience with vegemite was that if you somehow let a million beers dry out in the sun, then added half an ocean’s worth of salt…

And I totally can’t deal with any sort of fermented meat product. I’ve smelled way too much death in my life to even consider putting that in my mouth.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.