Spreadable coffee is coming to Japan

Liked purely for “Koala-land”.

Yours sincerely,
Jyoti
Koala-land citizen since 1973

5 Likes

Ah, come on, if a person like miso they must, by Japhroaig’s law, like Vegemite!

The corollary is if you like the smell of toots, you must also like durian.

3 Likes

Just put toothpaste on the bottom side of the toast… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Google “bulletproof” coffee. Coffee and butter and mct oil.

Natto with Vegemite or Marmite, genius!

It takes many years of practice to master the look of guilt and shame in your eyes.

Some people only like their OWN durians.

7 Likes

Sir protests too much.
:upside_down_face:

5 Likes

some time ago I saw this in a supermarket.

like a Nutella for grown-ups made of dark chocolate and ground espresso beans. delicious!

14 Likes

okay that actually looks delicious!!!

6 Likes

And without palm oil, too, apparently. Looks tasty!

6 Likes

it seems the company has even a special BBS edition

just look at it

13 Likes

WOW they have some delicious flavors…I’d try pretty much any of them and they all sound good…
except:

1. white chocolate and licorice
  2. skydiving santa
  3. old hat and umbrella.
    (granted if i could read the text the last two may or may not be awful… ;-P)
4 Likes

ginger bread.

but did you see skydiving santas? a black currant jam with red wine, rum, bitter orange
and cinnamon. like mulled wine on bread.

7 Likes

I am effing wasting my life. I need to start selling jams, pickles, and bread.

6 Likes

Someone at my large office workspace was gifted some sort of pastry made with durian. Luckily I was working from home that day, but they actually did clear the building (400+ employees) to find out where the odor was coming from. It was variously reported as “an electrical fire” (which doesn’t make much sense to me) and various types of sewage leak.

New rule. No durian at work.

I figured that there must have been some it appealed to (those whose heads are usually so far up their own asses…)

6 Likes

My sister in law, who is both a glorious nutcase and a nurse (she would dispute neither) once went in with me to get a durian.

She brought her husband and dog along, and we crack the thing up. We each took a bite, valiently swallowed, then threw that thing to the ground.

Her dog then rolled in it, while mine looked on nervously. Guffaw is the only word to describe the situation.

7 Likes

I can’t stop reading about durian. It’s as if Nature evolved a ‘dare’ for any organism with olfaction.

4 Likes

It’s an intensely personal thing. And virtually impossible to get properly in the states. As an example:

A durian in the states is like a green Roma tomato, dyed red. But… Worse :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are at least two places near me, one within biking distance, that sell whole, frozen durian. I’ve read that frozen is inferior, though–how, I’m not sure; this is a fruit routinely described as tasting not unlike ass (or, as one of the kids in the Kid vs Food: Durian episode put it, “like mango, but bad.”).

The simplified logistics of shipping frozen aside, I wonder if it’s even legal (or that notwithstanding, just good business sense) to sell fresh durian.

1 Like

awww come on you two, durian is fantastic! the smell might take a bit to reassign mentally, but the taste is quite pleasant banana/vanilla/something unique… give durian a shot, it is well worth it.

4 Likes

Hey, I’ll try just about any food once.* I do recall you once describing durian as (and I’m paraphrasing from memory here) ‘delicous, fruity custard you just happen to be enjoying while in a sewer’, a statement that suggests some mental reframing might change its taste for the better. Is the frozen stuff sufficient for the True Durian Experience?

*Except surströmming, which I’ve read tastes like the smell of death. Really. Compare ‘first taste’ videos for durian and surströmming: people spit out the former while they vomit before they’ve even gotten the latter into their mouth. I’m gonna take that as a warning.

6 Likes

I picked up a fresh one at my local Asian store once, and valiantly tried it. It tasted of tropical custard, like vanilla laced with mango, really tasty, but there was that faint funky odor that put me off. After we ate our fill, I saved the rest and tossed the husk in the trash.

The next morning, it smelled like an entire landfill had been dumped in my kitchen. It’d ripened more, or warmed, and oh god the stench, like hot garbage. That was my last durian.

8 Likes

All the complaints aside, some day I am gonna live on an island with a durian tree. (And mango, fig, and lime, obviously)

2 Likes