Squirrel wrecks couple's home while away on holiday and insurance won't pay

Amirite?

Yeah, those “urban” types (wink wink nudge nudge)

4 Likes

I’d probably just sprinkle it around the perimeter of the house. But if the potent odour of fox urine favourably tickles your olfactory system, by all means spritz it inside like you’re starring in an air freshener commercial.

1 Like

You are reading more into my comment than there is, besides I’m back in California.

Oh, joy; lucky us.

4 Likes

This is why it’s super important to actually read your contract of carriage. Any insurance company will stick to that like glue. If it’s listed as covered it’s covered. If not, then you’re f-ed. There really isn’t wiggle room. And if you’re having any problems with any insurance company, reach out to the fine folks at your state’s Department of Insurance. They’re actually pretty consumer oriented, and a complaint mediated by them triggers all sorts of pants shitting at insurance companies that a regular consumer complaint won’t.

8 Likes

I’m surprised they didn’t link their $ request to religion. Jesus wants us to have a perfect home!

3 Likes

Good point. Maybe they did. I didn’t check their campaign. Did you?

2 Likes

Real talk.

5 Likes

You have clearly never met the squirrels in my neighborhood. I’m engaged in a nonstop war to keep the little monsters from completely eating my plastic patio furniture. They’ve chewed through the lids of two city garbage bins. I got a fake owl that was supposed to scare them off. They ate it. If they were left unattended in my home for a month, I’d expect to come home to a scrape-and-build situation.

5 Likes

Nnnnnnnnope!

2 Likes

The raccoons used the toilet. It was one of them that left the tap running after washing its paws.

7 Likes

Squirrels be crazy.

A buddy was out of town and his wife called me to help with a persistent squirrel in the attic. The squirrel had chewed a hole in one of the soffet boards which my friend had nailed a plank over, but the squirrel simply chewed through it again. I replaced the damaged board and covered the entire soffet area with a piece of sheet metal. The next day the squirrel had chewed a new hole just off the edge of the sheet metal. I assume that level of effort meant it was a female squirrel desperate to return to a litter of pups in the nest.

They eventually live trapped the offending critter, and released it far away. I don’t suppose the pups survived beyond that.

3 Likes

Welp, you saved me some money on that idea. The holes in my garbage bins mean nothing gets left in them overnight, either. Why give them any ammunition? When they’re in the trees in my yard, if I step out for any reason they stop and give me the same look those little kids got from the crows in The Birds. They don’t run away, like any other animal. They just stare at me until I leave.

2 Likes

Now, that must rule sucks if you have a beaver build a dam flooding your entire house. Also, owners of capybaras as pets beware.

4 Likes

Well, it was only one squirrel for like a week in this case (not a month), not all the neighborhood squirrels (which potentially could be dozens, based on the number that visit my garden).

Also, in this case, their example photo, demonstrating the terrible squirrel damage, is one lightly-marred baseboard. If that was the most dramatic example they could come up with, I’m guessing the rest isn’t so bad either.

1 Like

First time home owners too.

Something I have heard about insurance claims against homeowner insurance: it better be a big claim for it to be worthwhile.

Never had the occasion to use mine as of yet though.

5 Likes

The noble capybara is above such plebian expressions common among the lower mammals!

2 Likes

At my parents cottage (real cottage: no running water, no electricity), we’ve waged a years-long battle with a red squirrel who every fall insists on filling the outhouse with hundreds of walnuts. Then when you try to use the outhouse, he sits just outside and swears at you.

We’ve tried tossing the walnuts out dozens of times, but he just brings them all back a few hours later. We eventually built a nice dry, non-smelly squirrel-sized wood cabin (with a “Squirrel Manor” sign and everything) just beside the outhouse, all to no avail.

We’ve given up as he’s a full-time resident of the property, and we’re only weekends-and-holidays landlords, but there’s nothing like having 40 3" “marbles” on the floor of the outhouse when you’re trying to use the facilities at 3 in the morning.

4 Likes

The rubber part has me thinking. Many years ago in the apartment I lived in the cable company had to replace the outside connection due to squirrels loving to chew the insulation. I wonder if it tastes good to squirrels or they know we need it?

3 Likes

If you ask me, I think it was the ease of chewing through dry, brittle material. My mom’s house was built during the tail end of the housing boom of the 80s in the plains states (cheap shortcuts), and is likely 100% Masonite. I replaced those rubber-flanged vents with aluminum-flanged ones.
Lord knows if I’ll ever be able to afford to replace all her siding.

3 Likes