Stalker allegedly hid in woman's attic, photographed her as she slept

But that was just last week, right? So there’s still time. :wink:

Reminded me that happened to me once, too. Fuckers. And for the record, mine was a non-violent (and completely unjustified) charge that had nothing to do with property rights, either (unlike burgling) and my bail was set at $6k. More than twice what this guy faced, for his scary bs. Our system is so messed up.

10 Likes

That’s good, truly…but why not charge him for everything he did? Presumably the time would be additive, right? Is it just because they don’t want to take court time for the lesser charges?

This seems like a case where you’d want to throw ALL the books at him.

2 Likes

So what do we know about the judge? Elected or appointed, if appointed then who did the appointing? Is this judge male or female? I’d like to say I’m afraid this lad is more than just a bit twisted but I know we shouldn’t speculate. It also concerns me that the amount of time from when someone cuts their tracking device off till the time police can get to there gives a pretty good head start. That woman and her family have got to be scared shitless and with damn good reason.

Well, the important thing is that people know where he stands on women being stalked and just how unimportant it is…

6 Likes

I don’t know. I’m used to jurisdictions where lesser charges are subsumed into more serious ones. The US thing of having 27 consecutive life sentences or whatever seems really strange.

Looking into it a bit further New Hampshire does seem to do consecutive sentencing so your question seems valid.

The report says that investigations are ongoing and it’s not unusual to add charges along the way. It might be that charging him with burglary initially is easiest because you’ve pretty much got him bang to rights there - no need to argue about courses of conduct and intent to cause fear, etc. - when you might feel you are likely to find more evidence to support those with a bit more digging.

Or it might be that the prosecutors think the stalking bits aren’t real crimes as you suggest. I suppose we can only wait and see whether further charges follow.

We can say that the prosecutors certainly thought he shouldn’t be out on bail.

2 Likes

We have a habit of incarcerating folks we are angry with. This guy is scary. Sending a stranger your address so they can send you a TV is probably not remarkably wise or safe. However, a road trip to bust in a house, take pictures whilest hiding out in the attic, and planning to install a tracking device? That shit is scary as hell to me. Changing the stalkee for one of the women in my life—my mother or daughter—suggests $2500 is a touch light handed. The only surprise, for me, is that the guy got such a low bail and wasn’t Caucasian. This sounds like one of those bs cases where the focus is on not wanting to inconvenience the doer because we wouldn’t want to harm his future, sully his reputation, etc.

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

Well - I’m certainly not going to give them your address so you get a free tv.

6 Likes

No our society “has a habit” of incarcerating the poor and minorities for profit; emotion has very little to do with it.

Victim blaming is frowned upon here, btw…

9 Likes

I absolutely get what you were hitting on. It was not my intent to victim blame. I absolutely get that she holds no culpability for this guy being a creep beyond belief. This is on him. Where I was coming from was trying to figure out how in hell he tracked her down. Residual fear of the stalker economy commodifying everything about us and selling it to whomever.

My experience with the criminal justice system is limited to Oklahoma, which might not apply to elsewhere. I visited a guy for 18 years and taught a class in two prisons here just shy of ten years. My experience was that Oklahoma spends its money on people authority was mad at. I did run into some guys that really scared me—monsters that would clearly derive pleasure from hurting others. I really don’t know what else we can do for them, yet, except separate them from us. Many were in because the state was mad at them for not being white. One guy was convicted of being a sex offender because he got busted peeing in an alley. Why they pursued it was that he had already ticked off the sheriff, the DA, and the judge—he was a royal pain in the ass. Which it didn’t take long to get to.

In Oklahoma, at least in my limited exposure, almost every one of the guys I came into contact with had problems with chemicals—alcohol, meth, something, came in conjunction with the charges that landed them in prison. Here we decided to do for profit prisons instead of treatment. We put sick people in cages rather than help them get well.

3 Likes

Then don’t. The blame lies squarely on the man who invaded her house. Full stop.

That you’ll find broad agreement on here.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.