Stanford rapist Brock Turner already free

yes, they can do that at their own website. Quite observant of you.

1 Like

But do they give a pee? That would seem the relevant question.

We are, after all, as a nation, Number One

3 Likes
  1. Prison should be a last resort, reserved for the worst of offenders. It’s a lousy method of rehabilitation; at best, it’s a partially effective method of quarantine.

2. Rapists, as a general rule, are given grotesquely inadequate sentences. Crank it up by a factor of ten and you’ll get somewhere close to what is appropriate.

These are not contradictory beliefs.

4 Likes

I often find that the charges for outright murder tends to be lenient depending on the state you’re in. Also charges related to marijuana tend to be insane so sentencing in the US is kind of a mess.

2 Likes

I recall this particular story. Gotta love the support there.

My asking you to expand on what you meant by ‘society’ isn’t rhetorical snark—it’s a question. Your glib response doesn’t answer it.

The word ‘society’ is tossed around so much in discussion, often as a placeholder for the person’s own understanding or impression of cultural attitudes and collective philosophies of their nation. As such, it’s a term with a vast, heterogenous set of definitions. For this conversation to progress, you need to expand on what you mean by ‘society’.

2 Likes

how edgy of you.

Of course it is, which is exactly why we agree to let the courts rule on what that is at a given time. If we don’t like it, we can change the directives we give them, but we’ve long agreed that shouldn’t happen retroactively.

I don’t recall agreeing to that “we”.

1 Like

I don’t know what this means or what you’re referring to. Help me out here.

You need Facebook to see this video, but it’s pretty good.

St. Maggie told us there was No Such Thing, so that settles it.

“There was no such thing as society and even if there was, I most certainly had nothing to do with it.”
—character Mark Renton (as played by a very young Ewan McGregor)

No, we are not a society that accepts retroactive punishment.

We accept punishment in advance?

Can you translate this into English, please?

He means that only crimes committed after the change in law have the law applied to them.

If you make apple eating a crime tomorrow, then eating an apple today, or having eaten one last week, will not be prosecutable. So if we change the laws which would apply to the rapist brock turner, they will apply to the next rapist who does what he did, and not retroactively apply to rapist brock turner.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.