Star Trek: The Next Generation animated in the style of Star Trek: The Animated Series

Originally published at: Star Trek: The Next Generation animated in the style of Star Trek: The Animated Series | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Groove Cube added to band names

17 Likes

One hidden in every post!

21 Likes

200-8

15 Likes

Holy Lou Scheimer, Batman!
They have the Filmation style down to a science.

16 Likes

20 Likes

Nice to see the purple in there but not enough purple and green. Or pink. The color choices for the original were so offbeat there was a rumor around the studio that Ervin Kaplan, who was in charge of color, was colorblind. He wasn’t but Filmation co-founder Hal Sutherland could only see in black and white.

12 Likes

But since Star Trek: The Animated Series aired on kiddie-centered Saturdays, there were some restrictions. David Gerrold, who wrote the famous “The Trouble With Tribbles” episode for the original series, had to shelve his idea of man-eating tribbles in their animated debut, “More Tribbles, More Troubles.

OMG! Man eating tribbles would have been so awesome.

12 Likes

My favorite detail is the Red Shirt cat-person

25 Likes

yeah(!) Just don’t (dare) mix-up your Trek cat species. There are at least three of them, last count.
Caitians, Kzinti, Vedala …oh my. (source) (i think the red shirt one in your presented image is a Kzinti. Lower Decks, Dr T’Ana is a caitian)

12 Likes

Re: the headline, so did Land of the Lost, helmed by Gerrold. Both of these shows introduced me to real science fiction when I was a kid.

10 Likes

Me too. I was a little too young for Star Trek the Animated series when it came out. It wasn’t rerun until I was a teenager. But Land of the Lost hit the sweet spot for me of age, interest in SF and dinosaurs.

There were some great names in SF working behind the scenes of Land of the Lost!

5 Likes

You are correct - you can tell by the fin-like ears

3 Likes

12 Likes

The stories of Next Gen with the aesthetic of the Animated Series?
It would be like getting…
( •_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
The best of both worlds.

14 Likes

Came for the awkward shoulder rush towards camera, was not disappointed.
Though there should have been at least one shot where someone was wearing the wrong color uniform.

6 Likes

I had no idea the Kzinti had been appropriated into the Trek universe, I’ve long since stopped following it. Not sure how I feel about that. I do know, however, that ekshully the singular of Kzinti is Kzin.

5 Likes

Yep, there’s a whole episode about them in the animated series, written by Larry Niven.

6 Likes

Well if Niven wrote it I guess that’s all right then. /gets down off high horse

5 Likes

“What did you say Spock?”

7 Likes