"Stop it! Stop it!" DeSantis loses control to a heckler

I’ve looked at multiple lists and I can’t find Florida being #1 in education in any category, and I mean any. Not best, not worst (but close to it!), money spent on education, students enrolled, teachers, national rankings, etc.

It’s an obvious lie but I can’t figure out what he was trying to go for there.

4 Likes

I couldn’t believe what he was saying either, but I find what I think explains the #1 in education thing:

In short, people can make up their own metrics for whatever they want.

6 Likes

That tracks. USNWR education rankings in all areas have always been suspect. Their Law School rankings have, for years, been the definitive source for Law School rankings, but they relied in large part on some pretty dubious metrics, and a lot of schools were intentionally doing things to inflate those metrics. It’s why the T14, or top 14, law schools haven’t changed much in years and years, and why Harvard and Yale grads dominate our judiciary. Thankfully, a whole ton of law schools started noping out of volunteering that data to USNWR a couple of years ago, rendering those rankings practically worthless now. I’m not sure how USNWR became the de facto ranker of education in the first place.

6 Likes

Yeah, the metrics make no sense. It says one of the metrics is % of residents with a college degree. Florida has 33% with bachelor’s or greater, 27th overall in the US. But another metric is debt after college…so if you stop going because you can’t afford it, that becomes a positive mark for…reasons?

Realistically, you can’t be #1 if you’re hitting a record 7000 teacher shortage, regardless of what your fancy yelp review says.

5 Likes

What percentage of that 33% with a bachelor’s degree or greater are retired folks who moved down to Florida after getting educated elsewhere?

5 Likes

3 Likes

Well, you may have a point but Ron totally defeated George Soros.
I have no idea what he defeated him at, but he did it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.