Straps on cargo ship break, tons of cargo spill into the sea

Russians have a knack for video documenting all kinds of mishaps. I liken it to the Japanese obsession with still cameras.

4 Likes

OK, who’s gonna go out there and secure what remains?

4 Likes

and that will be stuck in my head the rest of the day…

3 Likes

Hey man, I don’t commission or draw tens of thousands of pictures of moe-anthropomophized battle ships getting… plowed. I just have to wade through that to get to the stuff I’m into.

4 Likes

WHOAH THERE!

7 Likes

It can be heartbreaking when it is your cargo. Way back in the day I was anxiously awaiting a batch of new Otari multi-track analog recorders, mixing equipment, and other studio stuff that had been on order for nearly a year. That was until the container holding all of it went overboard as it crossed the Gulf of Alaska when a freak wave hit the ship. Bye-bye equipment and back on the long wait list.

7 Likes

The emotional tenor of the chatter appeared to be of the “this is a huge fuckup; but at least it’s such a huge fuckup that I can’t reasonably be expected to try anything heroic and dangerous to stop it” flavor.

Which is fair, trying to re-secure cargo like that would very likely be futile with a side of lethal unless you could get the ship to stop moving around for a half hour or so; but probably also way more pleasant than a hypothetical situation where scrambling around after moving parts large enough to crush a limb would have a reasonable chance of saving the cargo.

9 Likes

At the very beginning of the video, about half of the wooden blocking has shifted out from underneath the pipes. That, plus noise from the shifting load, was enough to let the crew know the load was going over the side. The only question then was how long would it take.

8 Likes

A reminder that the Sea is a harsh mistress

A reminder that cargo needs to be properly secured. This is incredibly shoddy work. Timber is loaded in a similar way, but the timber carriers have vertical metal girders extendig from the ship’s sides (anybody knows the proper name for these things?) to prevent this kind of accident. One can only hope the cargo sank right away and did not endanger other ships. GAH!

4 Likes

Forgive the shoddy translation…

9 Likes

On the plus side there’s a new man made reef in the ocean and it’s a nice home for the little fishes.

4 Likes

In marine applications, a stanchion is a vertical support for chains or ropes.
But they can fail, too:

http://www.professionalmariner.com/May-2012/Log-ship-gets-into-trouble-when-its-cargo-shifts-in-rough-seas-high-winds/

11 Likes

Damn, no Pokéstops here

1 Like

The equipment later washed ashore only to be discovered by a young man on his 8th grade field trip to the beach.

That young man… was one Quincy Jones.

And that’s the rest of the story.

18 Likes

“There. That should hold it.” – The guy who installed the straps.

8 Likes

Booooo…sssssssss…

3 Likes

It does not matter who loads the ship. they are doing it under the direction and supervision of the Chief Mate, who absolutely is supposed to supervise and check the lashings, and then check them again every day.

2 Likes

In former Soviet Kara Sea, pipeline lays out you.

7 Likes

I always think of this when I hear about cargo containers going overboard (which apparently is not all that uncommon). Somebody was expecting that stuff!

4 Likes

Given your username, I’m thinking that person was you. In all cases of “lost” cargo. :slight_smile:

6 Likes