Strategies against oppression

Probably time for this kind of thread…

We’ll kick it off with the great Laurie Penny, telling us that it’s okay to be pissed off and to push back against these fascists…

24 Likes

Here’s an MD with a fact-based, graphs-and-charts discussion aimed at men who either choose to be silent and/or impregnate women:

The thread is long. Sorry.

If you want to skip all the evidence Dr. Caballero tweets in that thread, the TL;DR is:

In case y’all find yourselves in a position to have a fact-based, rational conversation with… people who may be in need of facts.

13 Likes

Crosspost from the Roe v Wade thread (thanks for pointing it out Mindy)

19 Likes

My concern about that comic is that a face mask probably won’t protect you from facial recognition cameras and can’t phones still be pinged even in airplane mode? Stick that thing in a Faraday pouch if you’re bringing it.

2 Likes

… and doesn’t help much when you’re 6’8" … unless the protest is in the :netherlands:.

A face mask with a few markings on it should do the trick. I’ll ask next time I’m chatting with someone who will know for sure.

3 Likes

A lot of wiggle room in the word “should”. The research into the effectiveness of dazzle makeup seems limited and scattershot and besides, it’ll be a never ending arms race between the tech and the latest circumvention methods. And even then you may be flagged as a person of interest to a human operator because the machine can’t tag you.

3 Likes

This is a thread for strategies, so let’s keep it on point, kids.

4 Likes

Cross-posting here from the Roe v. Wade thread, at @Mindysan33’s request:

8 Likes

Lady Gaga Thank You GIF

6 Likes

More of same, with MDJ, an excellent medical communicator.

8 Likes

Yes but they have to be effective or what’s the point? If we know where they fail we can work to ensure they succeed the next time. I know my posts sound like something Masha from Attack Surface would say but i’m not saying we give up the fight, far from it.

Masha, I’m sorry, girl, but you don’t understand this thing. Fights like this aren’t fights you win, they’re fights you fight . If we curb the Oakland PD and out Zyz, they’re not all going to take up Buddhism and move to a damn ashram. They’re going to hang around like a bad smell, like Voldemort reassembling his power from the back of some poor asshole’s head, until they can come back for more. This isn’t a thing you do, it’s a thing you commit yourself to. It’s a thing I commit myself to.
-Attack Surface, Cory Doctorow

2 Likes

There is no perfect form of resistance. They are ALL flawed. So we can sit here and nit-pick them to death for some kind of perfection that doesn’t exist, or we can share a variety of strategies that we can use when it makes sense. :woman_shrugging:

And I don’t think it sounds like Masha, because I think the point there is that you can’t have a perfect singular strategy that will WIN, but you’ll have multiple forms of action that will move you further along.

7 Likes

Masha spends most of the novel being defeatist as she nitpicks every strategy the activists use since she built the tools used to surveil them while missing the bigger picture of why they fight so i’m acknowledging that i’m aware of that and don’t want to sound defeatist.

Okay.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Lilly Singh Boom GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

Not just around reproductive rights, either. Any and all rights.

7 Likes

Yeah and when digital historians unearth this thread from whatever mothballed server it resides on they’ll see a timeline of trending events that government fuckery inflicted upon us.

2 Likes

Here’s a list of the many paths that could be taken to lessen or remove the current Supreme Court’s fascist power:

6 Likes

I have found this to be true, FWIW. Don’t use facts, because they have their own alternate facts. Tell them a personal story instead:

3 Likes

7 Likes