Study: Eating beef jerky could lead to mental illness

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/25/study-eating-beef-jerky-could.html

4 Likes

The solution is simple–cure your own, and without nitrates.

1 Like

It’s all making sense now…I knew Alex Jones seemed like a beef jerky kind of guy.

14 Likes

I’d have no idea how to begin making my pastrami or bacon without Prague powder. I’ve read about the celery methods but my concerns over incomplete curing leave me very leery of the idea.

The article seems to mention nitrates. Curing salts are nitrites however so I’m not sure how to read this information. I do know that about 5% of our nitrite intake comes from cured meats such as bacon, hot dogs, hams, pastrami, corned beef, cured sausages, and cured fish. But 95% of the nitrites we consume come from the natural compounds in vegetables such as lettuce, spinach, celery, and carrots, and even some drinking water. They contain nitrates (with an “a”) some of which are converted by our digestive system to nitrites (with an “i”). In the stomach, nitrite can create nitric oxide, a compound that is thought to be important in healing wounds and burns, controlling blood pressure, and boosting immunity.

So if nitrates are the problem and meat is cured with nitrites and naturally occurring nitrates are a greater source of nitrate and nitrite in our food, how do I reconcile that with this article?

9 Likes

haha, i thought the same thing – the whole far far right-wing demographic seems like a huge purchaser of jerky to me.

3 Likes

I think I’ve seen this movie before…

2 Likes

Only the good die young.

Oh, if an early death was the issue I wouldn’t think twice. Mental illness however makes what time you have less fun.

3 Likes

Is that first hand experience or projection?

Probably both

Study: Eating beef jerky could lead to mental illness

I’m eating beef jerky right now.

5 Likes

Careful… I had a couple messages deleted from the BB thread about Alex Jones. Here’s a test: I just posted “he seems n… I’m gonna go with nuts.” Not sure why that was verboten, maybe Tuck Buckford is threatening litigation if anyone dares to speculate on the mental health of someone so clearly in need of help.

I think that might be my first deleted comment on BB, feels weird.

On on topic: just cure your own! get a recipe, get it tuned just right and save some money as well. I like a spicy teriyaki style myself, a bit more garlic and ginger… mm mm MMM!

1 Like

Hey, correlation doesn’t imply causation.

Also, I love me some good jerky and would be sad if it was making me senile.

1 Like

I’d say correlation often does imply causation. Imply. What it doesn’t do is prove or necessitate causation.

4 Likes

that works for me. i’d love the see the sales map for where the most jerky is sold, just saying.

2 Likes

As I understand it, there’s cancer links with both Nitrates and Nitrites, both of which are used in curing. Those links evaporate when meat is cured the old fashioned way: salt and time.

I can’t say too much more than that.

1 Like

No, not the reason.

6 Likes

Some grocery stores will add nitrates to meat to keep it fresher longer. They’re also found in hot dogs and other meat products, so its not just jerky. I think ideally one should go to a place that has fresher meat like a butcher, but you’re likely going to have to pay extra.

The alternative would be to eat less meat (or none at all).

I think that’s from Ravenous? :smiley: One of my top favorite movies.

5 Likes

This made me think of a movie clip that used to make me laugh back in the day. Went to find the clip to share, watched it, and wow. Little dated.

So I saved you from myself. You’re welcome. :wink: