Styrofoam mug visible in Game of Thrones

Still, I’d hesitate to describe it as “translating a work from one medium to another” once they got into story that had yet to exist in any medium other than television. The later seasons really just have to stand or fall on their own merit.

1 Like

From this morning:

Is it just us here? What the hell, Massachusetts?

1 Like

The switch was super recent in my nearest restaurant, so it could be as simple as ordering schedules for cup restocking or it could be a phased rollout.

1 Like

I think they did a great job when they were translating. As much as I hate where the last two seasons have gone, Benioff and Weiss did a pretty solid job of trimming GRRM’s excesses. I have really hated this season in particular, but I also have to think back to the first six or seven times I tried to read Feast for Crows and couldn’t get through it because it was just. so. damn. boring. It was such a marked shift after the excellence of Storm of Swords.

It’s when the showrunners ran out of material to translate and forged out on their own that things really went to shit. [EDIT: And I see you addressed this downthread from the comment I’m responding to.] And boy have they gone to shit. The showrunners cruised into season 7 with enormous fan goodwill, and I think maintained a lot of it despite season 7’s numerous problems. They’re well on their way to squandering it all with this nonsensical season.

1 Like

I’m happy they skipped right over that “Zombie Caitlyn” bit for one. The show also managed to make The Assorted Side Quests of Brienne of Tarth more interesting than the book version.

3 Likes

I find that when a show knows it’s ending the quality suffers because it gets self-conscious about itself, its themes, its legacy, its fans, gets maudlin and over sentimental, all of which detracts from what drew people to it in the first place. While I’m happily enjoying the show and am willing to overlook some things I really would like to visit the alternate universe where the last few seasons of GoT was written BSG style, might suck or might be awesome but it sure would be different.

3 Likes

Well, I think rushing is ok. But the plot holes are already rather large.
I’m currently listening to the Fire and Blood audiobook, and everyone in Westeros would know the stories told. Apparently, Daenaris could not be bothered to learn about her family’s fate and fortune. And even without that knowledge, we discussed this while watching the episode. That’s how non-gripping this made it.

I agree. Farscape did this completely. The four seasons kept getting better and better. Then after s5 was canceled and they got a mini series to close out the story they just sort of messed it all up with some terrible changes and forced plot points just to say “see. We wrapped everything all up”.

1 Like

They would have caught this in post if the lighting was better.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s most definitely a voice that demands punching. My ears are bleeding.

HBO clarified with a light-hearted statement about the craft services cup’s appearance.

The latte that appeared in the episode was a mistake — Daenerys had ordered an herbal tea.

• HBO
5 Likes

Wiped

(I totally would have swapped in a dragon mug!)

6 Likes

The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.

4 Likes

1 Like

Where’s the goof?

A water bottle behind her, close to the outside vase…

4 Likes

Oh, duh, I thought that was a candlestick, the way the light was hitting it (my eyes are getting old).

Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s not you, I had to really hunt for it. I didn’t see it for a couple of minutes either, than I realized what it was.

4 Likes

You might be impressed with the Earl’s business acumen at investing in such a clever innovation, but being the Earl he didn’t do his homework and the water source turned out to be Cholera Springs, Canada.

4 Likes