Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

I don’t understand why they don’t do it at the purpose-built stadium for rowing and kayaking events.

They don’t have to use the whitewater course, although that would add to the excitement.

11 Likes

Being prepared to sacrifice a few triathletes in the name of good publicity is all part of the Olympic experience.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Daughter sent me this.

13 Likes

Watching men’s gymnastics team finals.

Hey, why no music on the floor routines? Come on guys do a little dance.

Oh, and if I was was taking a drink every time they showed and commented on Tom Cruise last night I would have been in a coma.

9 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

I missed that. What’s the story there? Is he there cheering on someone in particular?

7 Likes

He was at the women’s gymnastics team trials, I suspect to cheer on the US team.

There’s a story that’s says he returned to his London home by helicopter.

They kept cutting to other celebrities that were there.

7 Likes

There were a whole bunch of celebrities in the crowd. As much as I really don’t want to like Tom Cruise, he makes it difficult when you see him taking pictures with every single person in the arena who wanted a picture with him…AND doing it with massive amounts of enthusiasm. He has always been exceedingly pleasant with his fans.

10 Likes

Paging Joe Strummer:

I don’t wanna hear about what the rich are doing
I don’t wanna go to where the rich are going

5 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes

Oh my gosh this is sad and who knew Flavor Flav was such a supporter of water polo.

On Sunday, Flavor Flav — who has been the U.S. women’s water polo team’s biggest fan, supporting them in person, in the pool and financially — shared a video of Steffen’s husband giving him a special clock necklace that Lulu had made for him before her death.

12 Likes

Pssst…you owe me a cold beverage!

From almost the beginning of the thread:

6 Likes

Here is your Mineirinho!

[Refrigerante Mineirinho/ Mercado Municipal - YouTube]

8 Likes

Mineirinho is a Brazilian soda with extract of guarana and hat-coarur.

The hat-of-leather, also known by the names of tea-the-campaign, herb and marsh grass, is a herb of the family of the elastagoras.

Sounds really cool! Can’t wait to try it…cheers!

9 Likes

It is… how can I say, different… But better than Guaraná Jesus… Oh, I am derailing the topic…

Speaking in Jesus. Rayssa Leal, Brazilian bronze medal skateboarder, can be punished by the Olympic Comitee after sending a religious message using Brazilian Signal Language.

[Rayssa Leal pode ser punida após fazer esse gesto proibido nas olimpíadas; ela se pronuncia (correiobraziliense.com.br)]

[Rayssa Leal, Instagram sensation, wins Olympics bronze medal | AP News]

https://apnews.com/article/rayssa-leal-skateboarding-olympics-2024-ef8b563bfa1a1bfc3fd8f6b2d18d6986

7 Likes

Yay Steve.

7 Likes

And he did it without his glasses. (He was seriously squinting before he got on the pommel horse apparatus. Was super worried.)

7 Likes