Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant

I get what you say, but honestly, not many 10 year old are going to land in Boing Boing and read this comment. And trying to suppress his presence on the internet is useless

The way to fight people like him is with education at school and family level. For reference I have a 12 year old boy and I know he has seen his videos and what I did was to talk to him and make sure he understands this is not acceptable

Of course it helps to be in good terms with your kids, having a clear understanding of what is wrong and not patronizing them

All this considered, I don’t think any of us on BoingBoing needs to see any more of him, the more we do, the wider the net for him to expand

Literally no one here has children that age at school or any kind of families involving children at all… /s

6 Likes

Parents, relatives, teachers, family friends, on the other hand… Most of us wouldn’t be aware of Tate or his toxicity if we didn’t read about him on sites like this.

I’ve been warning the young men in my life off hatemongers and charlatans like Tate, Jordaddy, Joe Rogan, and off the manosphere in general for more than a decade. Discussing them here has helped accomplish that goal.

11 Likes

Stop giving him attention.

8 Likes

If ONLY he was a nobody, that would be great… but dude’s not. Unfortunately, he has actual influence over certain men, and that influence is straight up toxic.

To just ‘ignore it and hope it goes away’ is naïve at best.

There’s a mute feature for any post that you personally don’t want to see.

9 Likes

For what it’s worth, I prefer encountering Tate’s droolings through the filter of the bbs. I like to keep roughly abreast of what him and his ilk are up too without seeking them out directly.

5 Likes

Post insanely douchey provocative thing that makes people upset. Get many links and views as people discuss your insanely douchey provocative thing. Profit?

Attention feeds these assholes.

Just like water damage or termites; ‘just ignoring them’ doesn’t make them go away.

10 Likes

It used to be sound advice to ignore trollls. Nowadays, we know better. Ignoring trollls, especially people like Tate, gives the impression that Tate’s behavior is okay and not worthy of condemnation, and it sends the message to his victims that we don’t care what happens to them.

6 Likes

Termites or water damage don’t thrive on attention.

To my knowledge, having a satisfying round of righteous indignation on an internet forum does nothing to resolve any of them. It does however feed the ego of an attention craving douchebag.

Personally I’m hoping a legal system makes him go away. Imperfect, but vastly better than what we are doing here.

Also, fuck that guy and all his pathetic followers.

Fine; it’s like ignoring a malignant cancerous growth, then.

My point still stands:

That shit does NOT go away from mere lack of exposure; it only spreads and gets even worse.

5 Likes

But they thrive on lack of attention which is what people are advocating when they say we should just ignore this guy (Tate) or his ilk.
It was an apt analogy.

7 Likes

Oh For Christ’s Sake, just DON’T give that shit stain any more attention.

2 Likes

[Extremist Militias Are Coordinating in More Than 100 Facebook Groups | WIRED]

6 Likes

This poem describes how I feel sometimes about our earth. But then again I want to do what I can to make things better since the alternative is hopeless which isn’t me either. It’s in Doric but if you read aloud the meaning will be clear.

Gin I was God, Charles Murray

Gin I was God, sittin’ up there abeen,
Weariet nae doot noo a’ my darg was deen,
Deaved wi’ the harps an’ hymns oonendin’ ringin’,
Tired o’ the flockin’ angels hairse wi’ singin’,
To some clood-edge I’d daunder furth an’, feth,
Look ower an’ watch hoo things were gyaun aneth.
Syne, gin I saw hoo men I’d made mysel’
Had startit in to pooshan, sheet an’ fell,
To reive an’ rape, an’ fairly mak’ a hell
O’ my braw birlin’ Earth, – a hale week’s wark –
I’d cast my coat again, rowe up my sark,
An’, or they’d time to lench a second ark,
Tak’ back my word an’ sen’ anither spate,
Droon oot the hale hypothec, dicht the sklate,
Own my mistak’, an’, aince I’d cleared the brod,
Start a’thing ower again, gin I was God.

1 Like