Superb Owl 2019

Wife was going to make jelof rice for us. But she slept and we all made a pact to get fried chicken if she didn’t wale up by 5pm.

She woke up about 5 min ago. It’s a fried chicken night for us. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I lwj’ed.
Laughed with joy (out loud?).

1 Like

I always thought it was a space western, with some added magic.

4 Likes

Now, I’d call Star Trek science fantasy, but Star Wars pure fantasy. Star Wars not only inhabits a universe quite unlike our own (“space” isn’t really space but more of a large ocean full of air, with “planets” that are really small, single biome islands, etc. etc.), but the trappings of science fiction only exist to represent fantasy tropes. Robots stand in for peasants and golems, aliens for monsters, guns for bows, etc.

There are certainly some Western (and obviously WW I / II) elements, but it’s pure Mediæval fantasy, through and through. It’s the story of a wizard, an apprentice wizard/secret prince, his slaves, a princess, a pirate and a cynocephalus sailing around a magic air-sea, running into dragons and other monsters, overthrowing an evil empire ruled by evil sorcerers.

10 Likes

For those that don’t watch football. TBD TV if you have it is running Wil Wheaton’s Tabletop all night long.

2 Likes

Rotate your owl for science.

4 Likes

7 Likes

An elephant? In Tunisia?
Well… perhaps it escaped from a zoo?

Desert elephants on holiday.

3 Likes

I bet the SW film character designers worked closely with plush toy makers.

3 Likes
16 Likes

This is exactly why I love it, too.

Also why Rogue One was so lackluster for me. There was no romance to it. Gimme my space wizards, every time–even if they’re not Skywalkers.

1 Like

Roger, roger.

1 Like

I thought they walked in single file to hide their numbers?

Also, what kind of asshole thinks “What that elephant needs in this oven-like desert is a fur coat!”

3 Likes

I liked it for exactly opposite reasons; I liked that there were finally other people/families involved.

It wasn’t a brilliant film, but no whiney Skywalkers is a win.

3 Likes

20 Likes

Really fun shockwave game,
Spaced Penguin
http://www.vagenisonline.com/flash/spaced.html

Which is why I’ve really come to adore TLJ. :+1:

See, that doesn’t bug me too much, for a couple of reasons. First, the prequel trilogy does not exist. There was this hazy weekend where George Lucas threw some junk up on a screen that he’d pasted together with his kids using AfterEffects, I think there was a duck maybe, but we all woke up on Monday and had a good, strong cup of coffee and agreed never to speak of it again. I don’t even know who Hayden Christensen is–I think he wrote fairy tales back in the 1800’s or something? Anyway.

Second, Mark Hamill sells Luke’s arc across the first three films so well. I don’t mind him starting out as a dumb puppy, because by the third film he’s dabbling in the dark arts and getting things done. And TLJ is such a perfect capstone to that character.

2 Likes

Hooray for snacks!

8 Likes