Supercut of 1980s film references in Stranger Things

9 Likes

4 Likes

Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw, but I’m down with all the Winona gifs.

7 Likes

3 Likes

I adored Winona Ryder’s performance in ST. I think she nailed the cliche, the walk, the look, the insanity, all of it. It’s the best bad great show with kids in it I’ve seen in a long time.

The plot was… Well, you know. And the dialogue would have been Sooo terrible if it hadn’t had that spot on nostalgia.

Even the shit that made zero sense seemed deliberate, and don’t even get me started on the best character actor in the whole thing (the science teacher). He needs his own spin-off.

10 Likes

The science teacher was awesome.

I agree the high nostalgia dosage was what made it all work.

3 Likes

Uh-oh. Caught reading that MMF fiction she finds titillating. “No, really, it’s the catechism!”

3 Likes

Charlotte Flax was a great conflicted character.

3 Likes

The entire sensory deprivation tank part slayed me.

3 Likes

Giving advice on how to make one in the middle of a “hot date?”

Yeah, that was hilar.

2 Likes

In Episode 3: Three. One. Five. It’s hard not to think of Red October. Also, in the first episode, waiting for the elevator doors to close while looking down the intermittently lit hall for the approaching monster, obviously Aliens. Also in Ep 3, the hissing cat == the cat (Jonesy?) in Ripley’s nightmare.

2 Likes

To all the Winona gif posters. Thank you for restoring my faith that not everyone seems to hate her.

10 Likes

5 Likes

I loved the series. It terrified me in some spots, probably because I started watching it alone at home just around sunset.

4 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

Also, Stranger Things is another show filmed in GA, and I keep finding myself thinking I recognize locations while watching it. Same with Halt and Catch Fire.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Just started, two episodes in. I’m a little baffled by this, I mean, who’s watching this for the acting? It doesn’t matter, because it’s frickin’ Winona Ryder! Same thing with Modine- it’s enough that they are who they are and they’re in the show.

As for the video, way too literal and some real stretches. There might be a few literal comparisons, but what’s important is the way it nails the look and feel and zeitgeist (while entertaining).

1 Like