Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade

Even Abe didn’t agree with this, as evidenced by his numerous bendings of the laws during the Civil War.

@chenille and others, it comes from his Lyceum speech on upholding institutions. It’s a confusing paraphrase out of context.

https://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/lyceum.htm

ETA, not un ironically, he was decrying an extrajudicial killing, where a Black man had been burned alive by a crowd.

11 Likes

No doubt the ruling overturning Loving would have a weasel clause like “from this day forward” or “excepting Supreme Court Justices.” Clarence will be okay. In a couple of years when he kicks the bucket he won’t have been inconvenienced and everyone else is screwed. This is the Conservative Way.

9 Likes

There are some people in Canada who are probably celebrating because they think decision applies to Canada, and I’m not kidding.

They will be very upset when they find out that reality doesn’t agree with their bubble world.

12 Likes

I fear the Supreme Court, with this partisan decision, has just added a large container of gasoline to an out-of-control fire.

This country is sharply divided and people are at each other’s throats.

I believe this ruling will make that situation much worse, inviting violence for violence.

3 Likes

It’s gonna take more than legal funds and a transportation funds in the immediate weeks and months, they’re gonna need media campaign funds too. Every single miscarriage and death caused by this NEEDS to get played on tv, radio and on any imaginable form of advertising in the states they happened in NONSTOP.

Waking up in the morning to watch the weather before you go out? Boom! A commercial about a miscarriage. Driving to work? You see at least 3 billboards about a woman who died because the doctors hands were legally tied by the state. Be relentless about rubbing the anti-choicers noses in these events whenever possible. Make them feel just as uncomfortable as the women they yell and scream at, but all the time.

15 Likes

Only one side has routinely resorted to violence in the last 30 years, and they aren’t the left wing or the liberals.

27 Likes

In the 2016 election I was a solid Bernie Sanders supporter. When HRC won the primary I wasn’t happy but she had my support. I spent a lot of time and effort trying to convince folks who were angry to vote for Hillary regardless. I lost friends was told I’m not a true “progressive”.

The left in the US has this unique ability to turn on itself.

7 Likes

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

13 Likes

This guy gives me hope. In a Wellstone-y sort of way. This is worth listening to.

8 Likes

Oh sorry, if that wasn’t clear he can eat a bowl of dicks with an extra helping of pubic hair.

1 Like

There’s something about the conflation of those two statements…
well, I’d expect logical rightist fuckwits (if not a contradiction in terms) to join the dots, and sell it as a virtue (being the arseholes they are)

2 Likes
21 Likes

You make an assumption that he cares. I assume the man is full of hate for everyone including himself and his wife. I think he’d happily outlaw interracial marriage because that was the intent of the founding fathers and because it increases misery in the world.

5 Likes

They’re generating headlines as fast as they can think of them

And more . . .

29 Likes

Can we please stop propagating this myth?
One side is saying, “we want everyone to have access to health care, education, food and shelter.”
The other side, a minority btw, is saying, “die, lefty liberals! We own your wombs, wimmin!”

ETA - jinx, @the_borderer but you were much more concise.

25 Likes

It’s not a serious way to fix this issue, but that’s in fact how three women in northern Ireland ended criminal prosecution for the abortion pill by forcing the police to arrest them.

4 Likes

This might actually be an example of where solidarity and avoiding infighting is important.

These kinds of messages are important, but when I followed the link I saw the original came from a TERF. This is not the time for arguing over the source though, I support the right for everyone to have control and choice over their own bodies, TERFs included. We need to hear these kind of stories, no matter where they come from.

18 Likes

Then there was really no point in mentioning it.

5 Likes

I’m sure Collins’ “disappointment” will fix everything.

No, it isn’t. The only option here is executive orders. Biden could get really creative here as the great Elie Mystal described recently:

But instead, he opted for thoughts and prayers in today’s speech.

Cool story, Manchin. Time to put your money where your mouth is and do something here. Get rid of the filibuster, impeach justices for perjury, get some bills passed. Right, Joe? Joe…?

Hasn’t stopped both Democrats and Republicans from doing this. It’s how we ended up with the 3 fascist SCOTUS appointments under Trump. Had a 2/3 majority been needed, the appointments would have likely been far more moderate. People treat the filibuster like it’s some historic and important Senate tradition and it’s not. The Senate literally makes up their own rules as they go, and it only takes a simple majority to change them.

Hey, I hate both the Thomases too. Guess that’s one place where we can ideologically match.

In closing, one more article from Elie Mystal worth reading:

13 Likes

It might be nice to fantasise about how every woman having an abortion and every doctor involved would go ahead as per normal and then present themselves to the police to be arrested and that the sheer weight of numbers would have an effect, but the US prison-industrial complex would chew them up (and not spit them out).

12 Likes