Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade

34 Likes

I never understood this position anyway. For decades the US has stood as the example of freedom, and the policy of the US has shaped that of other countries (Canada especially) as a result. That reputation has clearly been tarnished of late, and this ruling is the very opposite of “freedom”, but anyone who does not believe the very fact that it has occurred will make the job of protecting the reproductive rights of Canadians more difficult is kidding themselves. Of course it will. And it will embolden other proponents of repressive policy around the world, too.

29 Likes

Purple as a ripe blueberry.

The GOP are deep in the minority of the actual population. It’s only gerrymandering and voter suppression that keep them anywhere near power. The 50 GOP Senators represent 43M fewer people than their counterparts.

25 Likes

Look up the Auntie Network. They’re organizing on Reddit. Then get active with it like my wife and I are.

21 Likes

As a topical aside, this is the sort of thing the US can expect now: A woman who has had a detached placenta is forced to wait for her own condition to get serious before getting the only treatment that will help (an abortion) after being told there was no amniotic fluid left and the foetus could not survive.

Update - she made it out to Spain but had to discharge herself against medical advice she was not fit to travel, to do so.

There are no words for the vile scum who make this happen - only actions (I am prevented by community rules from saying what action).

ETA

And many of them never will (or can’t - think, that is)

19 Likes

Honestly, I am half expecting some AG’s to begin to subpoena medical records to find women who underwent abortions previously. There is no statute of limitations for murder, after all…

20 Likes

Well there is at least one AG who I would absolutely believe would so such a thing

11 Likes

Tired Bette Davis GIF by Maudit

Which will help precisely nothing.

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

In our case, the ATL is expanding and exerting greater influence over the rest of the state, politically. And if Abrams wins, she can choose not to push for enforcement of the heartbeat bill.

those people can fuck the fuck off.

Which is being strangled by the far right.

Unfortunately for them, many of us can pay attention to more than one thing at a time, and we can connect the dots between Trump and this ruling.

But also, they want this and have been pushing for this for years. It is a goal that they have and have now achieved. They WANT an underclass to serve white men. It’s not some game.

And it doesn’t matter because we can pay attention to both, and it has the same effect anyway.

Always blame the woman, as if he can’t be a shitty human being all on his own, but only because of who he married. /s

Fuck that. HE made this decision, stop cooking up some misogynistic bullshit to defend his ass.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

But hey… any old fascist was better than a moderate democrat who would at least do the bare minimum to protect our rights… totes worth it to keep a wom… I mean a corporate democrat out of office!!! /s

30 Likes

This is even worse than a medieval theocracy. The middle ages generally recognised abortion before ‘quickening’ - feeling movement.

The AS Leechbook has an incredible number of potions for late periods. With hemlock, pennyroyal…

Outside of Christendom, there’s reports that Viking-era Norse might practise infanticide up to the 9th day - but you never really know if it’s Christian propaganda.

13 Likes

Hell, the Bible describes a trial-by-ordeal where a woman suspected of adultery is forced to take an abortifacient.

10 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what they want.

1 Like

Comcast is really trying to play both sides, then.

Surely others, too.

Oh, yep, Amazon and citi also show the hypocrisy:

Source 1 - These 13 corporations have spent $15 million supporting anti-abortion politicians since 2016
Source 2 - What corporations are saying about the end of constitutional protections for abortion

18 Likes

“We won’t go back”—it’s an inadequate rallying cry, only prompted by events that belie its message. But it is true in at least one sense. The future that we now inhabit will not resemble the past before Roe, when women sought out illegal abortions and not infrequently found death. The principal danger now lies elsewhere, and arguably reaches further. We have entered an era not of unsafe abortion but of widespread state surveillance and criminalization—of pregnant women, certainly, but also of doctors and pharmacists and clinic staffers and volunteers and friends and family members, of anyone who comes into meaningful contact with a pregnancy that does not end in a healthy birth. Those who argue that this decision won’t actually change things much—an instinct you’ll find on both sides of the political divide—are blind to the ways in which state-level anti-abortion crusades have already turned pregnancy into punishment, and the ways in which the situation is poised to become much worse.

20 Likes

For the individual behind all this:

Leonard Leo (head of the Federalists Society)

CHANG: The likely overturning of Roe v. Wade is a result of a long game that has made Leonard Leo one of the most important gatekeepers to the federal bench for ambitious conservative lawyers.

MARCUS: He has transformed himself, and especially during Republican administrations, into the power broker, the judge-maker. People would go to people who knew him and say, can you get me in to see Leonard? Can you help me with Leonard? When Brett Kavanaugh’s clerks were trying to make sure he got on Donald Trump’s list to be on the Supreme Court, they made a pilgrimage to the Federalist Society to see Leonard Leo.

CHANG: Because they knew…

MARCUS: 'Cause they knew…

CHANG: …They kind of had to kiss the ring.

MARCUS: Kiss the ring - and he’s the man you have to see.

( Full story on NPR " One man’s outsized role in shaping the Supreme Court" from June 21, 2022)

15 Likes

Clearly keeping employees in place is cheaper than replacing them. They’re afraid that people won’t come work for them in Handmaid states.

9 Likes

It also has a super creepy vibe to it. “Oh, we’ll help you temporarily escape this hellish world we helped finance and get the medical care you need….if you’re a good little worker. Everyone else can suffer!!!
Not too far off how health insurance works now, but scarier, IMO.

16 Likes

I am a US Politics outsider so forgive my ignorance.

Is there not an option to remove the filibuster completely (Nuclear option I think is the common term). If so I am curious why the Democrats are not using that.

The Republicans are playing dirty and winning. Unfortunately playing nice seems to be a dead end against a party that will do anything to win and repress. Maybe the Democrats need to fight like they are cornered :man_shrugging:. Or perhaps I am too naïve.

This whole situation is such BS. I hope this can be reversed.

(PS is there any way a foreign person can help? Are there orgs that can take foreign donations, can I just wire money to American friends for them to donate?)

7 Likes

Yes, they can change it in the senate rules with a simple majority.

Because two senators in the center right are opposed, so they do not have a majority to change it.

21 Likes

The filibuster can be removed with a simple majority, but the democrats have exactly 50% and several of them have stated they oppose removing the filibuster.

6 Likes

Because you aren’t a US citizen you can’t make a political contribution. But there are a lot of groups that gather funds to actually help people get the abortions they need. Paying for travel, incidentals, the actual medication or procedures. They are going to need even more help. I don’t have any links for reputable places, though I would appreciate it if anyone else does. I will be donating to at least one of these funds too

18 Likes