Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade

40 Likes

Joe Manchin is full of shit.

33 Likes

Winona Ryder Pull The Other One GIF

11 Likes

My state is trying to get a state constitution amendment on the ballot this November. I will be looking for the petition this weekend.

9 Likes

Yes he is. Democrat or no, he’s one of the most actively harmful figures in the Senate today. And that’s saying something.

33 Likes

No, it’s really not. Even if Manchin and Sinema agreed, they would need 10 Repubs to break a guaranteed filibuster. Pretty fucking powerless until November. We need to get our message across in that time!

24 Likes

I was in high school when it passed, I’m a senior citizen now. Words cannot express the shock and awe that I feel, how is this possible in a country like this. I grieve for my grandson and the world we’re leaving him.

24 Likes

100% this, maybe we could actually get house(spouse*) recognized as a more than full time job, among many other long ignored inequalities.

*Very often women, but raising children and running a household full time is so underappreciated.

5 Likes

Maybe that’s Thomas’ cry for help: “Not only could this affect Loving, it should affect it right now. Starting with me and Ginnie. She’s a monster. Help me…”

4 Likes

Wow - someone lied in the senate? Shit, what a surprise that must be for Mr Build Back Better.

3 Likes

And he probably promised several others that he would pay, and then never returned their calls.

5 Likes

Unfuck every single person who brought this horrible decision to fruition, may they suffer the rest of their worthless lives, and then I hope they burn forever in the worst hell of their own making.

41 Likes

Those muthafuckers. I’m so sorry to all uterus-having Americans.

10 Likes

If we ‘have a duty to “correct the error” established in those precedents’ (to use Thomas’s wording) what other precedents should we “correct” based on the basis for those decisions not being explicitly stated in the Constitution?

15 Likes

Traditionally rather than keep guns out of people’s hands, they just co-opt the gun owners as death squads on their behalf. (See also “Slave patrols” and “militias”)

10 Likes

Ah, but in this country, it is never just the fascists who are armed. They would need to change that post haste.

6 Likes

As we consider where different organizations are falling on this, I received this email today:

A Message from AAP President**: Today’s Supreme Court Ruling**

June 24, 2022

Dear AAP members:

The Academy issued this press statement on today’s U.S. Supreme Court ruling in the case Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which overturns Roe v. Wade and the once Constitutionally protected right to access an abortion.

Hours before the release of the ruling, the AAP issued two updated policy statements, reaffirming our support for adolescents to receive comprehensive, evidence-based reproductive healthcare services, including abortion. These updates were already underway as part of AAP’s 5-year policy renewal process.

Today’s consequential ruling and its implications will make these long-standing policies more difficult to achieve equally. Young people already face many barriers in accessing this care, and now in many places across the country, it will become even more challenging or impossible to do so.

The Academy is here to support its members as we navigate what this will mean for our patients. We will also be working closely with AAP chapters as states consider policies that affect abortion care access.

Sincerely,

Moira Szilagyi, MD, PhD, FAAP

President

29 Likes

They will be too busy setting up women’s prisons. I am hoping for a hotline to call in suspected abortion. I plan on turning everyone regardless of gender.

2 Likes

Nothing to add that other commenters have not covered better than I could. Just wanted to add my fury and anger at this, and express my support for those negatively affected by it, which is to say, EVERYONE

19 Likes

I’ll take our :canada: Prime Minister’s tweet as permission to comment on :us: politics…

42 Likes