Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade

Wondering if this is the counterprogramming that the republicans were planning on to distract from the Jan 6 commission headlines. The Thomases are major villains of both pieces, so it’s not that far fetched. Trump used to do this, make news by saying some outrageous assholery to distract from what would have been the news of the day.

5 Likes

I never gave much credence to the “Republicans are doing this horrible thing to distract from that other horrible thing” theories. The truth is that they’re always doing lots of horrible things, all the time.

44 Likes

Either he doesn’t care (good little soldiers do as their told) or he assumes he’ll be protected, just like Ernst Röhm.

While I’m posting …

41 Likes

Yes, and this is a horrible goalpost they’ve been struggling towards for decades. I fully believe Trump would do this, though, as a strategy.

2 Likes

Not mentioned, for some reason: Loving.

9 Likes

States that will go full Handmaid tomorrow:

30 Likes

I have a hard time believing Trump has enough pull with SCOTUS to impact the timing of this ruling, especially now that he’s out of office.

10 Likes
30 Likes

That’s better than nothing but it kind of defeats the “medical privacy” angle if you have to tell HR you’re leaving town to get an abortion.

28 Likes

Exactly. If he thinks for one millisecond that eviscerating the “unenumerated rights” will take Roe and Obergfell but leave Loving unscathed, he is out of his mind. Of course, his logic is probably “but they surely won’t eat my face.”

39 Likes

Then again in this metaphor he is the leopard, so he’s probably right.

16 Likes

I, for one, will look to Susan Collins for leadership through this dark time. Hopefully, she will write a letter of concern to SCOTUS, or someone, that will make up for all of her bad votes.

16 Likes

Holy shit. I’m so sorry, guys. I hope you can do something to force a reversal.

(Meanwhile, I think my country is going to be the next. :frowning: What with the gov’t’s ties to the American far-right and anti-abortion/anti-LGBTQ lobbyists.)

14 Likes

Agreed, but everyone crafty on that side of the fence has studied his “successes”.

3 Likes

You sure about that? I wouldn’t be at all surprised to learn that Trump had paid for a couple abortions for his mistresses.

I suggest petitioning the NCAA to pull the 2023 Division I basketball Final Four and championship games from Houston (men’s) and Dallas (women’s) citing the precedent of North Carolina’s “bathroom bill” back in 2017.

17 Likes

Do you think more of them will notice when Griswold gets flushed, or will it take border inspections with pregnancy tests?

8 Likes

:man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

24 Likes

It is within the Democrats power RIGHT NOW to codify abortion access into federal law and expand the supreme court to as many justices as they please.

Instead 2 senators will say something about “congressional tradition” and suffer no consequences while the rest will shrug and say, “there was nothing we could do.”

Then they will lose their majority in congress and go back to fundraising as the opposition party, claiming they will, “fight for our rights,” if we vote them back into power.

I want so badly for this not to be what actually happens, but how could it not?

19 Likes

apparently activist judges are okay, now.

15 Likes

Hey, I feel for him. Clearly, nobody could have forseen this turn of events.

(/s)

15 Likes