Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade

22 Likes

From a couple of years ago

There are considerably more important long standing traditions to worry about, but the court has paid them no mind.

5 Likes

I agree with the Court that the viability line established by Roe and Casey should be discarded under a straightforward stare de cisis analysis. That line never made any sense. Our abortion precedents describe the right at issue as a woman’s right to choose to terminate her pregnancy. That right should therefore extend far enough to ensure a reasonable opportunity to choose, but need not extend any further—certainly not all the way to viability. Mississippi’s law allows a woman three months to obtain an abortion, well beyond the point at which it is considered “late” to discover a pregnancy. … I see no sound basis for questioning the adequacy of that opportunity.

The Court’s opinion is thoughtful and thorough, but those virtues cannot compensate for the fact that its dramatic and consequential ruling is unnecessary to decide the case before us.

-from Roberts concurring opinion

That the chief justice describes a court opinion as having unnecessary dramatic consequences, but then does not dissent even in part, rather placing his criticism in a concurring judgement, is remarkably cowardly bullshit.

The same level of cowardly bullshit that describes this law as allowing adequate opportunity to obtain an abortion.

31 Likes

If people think this will stop at women’s civil rights and won’t extend to other things they are delusional. The SCOTUS has made it clear over the past few weeks that guns and religion have more rights than people.

36 Likes

Let’s just call it what it is: rape rights. Female subjugation and a wide open door to oppress those who don’t fit their feeble narrow predilections. Fucking disgusting.

25 Likes

Mississippi’s law allows a woman three months to obtain an abortion, well beyond the point at which it is considered “late” to discover a pregnancy. … I see no sound basis for questioning the adequacy of that opportunity.

That this immensely shitty and simplistic take is coming from a man is even more ridiculous.

22 Likes

Since they care so much about babies, we know the Repubs are going straight to work to increase:
prenatal care
affordable daycare
Head Start
WIC
adoption…etc.

Right. Right? (Is this thing on?)

37 Likes

Imagine being one of those three. Being absolutely powerless to change anything and having to be in the same room with those other six

19 Likes

This too is bullshit. I imagine the coming protests will be larger than the ones in 2020. It may be the tipping point that gets people who sit out elections to vote out people who would ban abortion. At least I hope I am right.

I am moving with in the month, and I have to get all my ducks in a row so I can squeak in on the deadline for the Kansas primary, which will have an abortion question on the ballot. IIRC.

16 Likes

Absolutely.
As I read earlier this morning: “[Justice Thomas wrote], in a concurring opinion, that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.”
Edit - Funny he leaves out Loving v. Virginia.

27 Likes

I would have punched them in face.

Would be worth it.

13 Likes

As someone who grew up in a rural area, I can tell you that even in the country, there’s plenty of liberals and hippy sorts. There’s often an inverse relationship between volume and intelligence, so you won’t see it if you just drive through an area. The libs don’t want to put up signs and billboards, because they don’t want to argue with idiots. This is a very purple country.

23 Likes

God’s will and all that bullshit.

4 Likes

He does realize those same precedents would also overturn Loving and make his interracial marriage illegal too?

madeline kahn flames GIF

22 Likes

The dissent all but calls him out on that exact point.

16 Likes

I try not to make financial decisions while sizzling in rage but I will be donating to several orgs paying for people to travel to get the care they need

18 Likes

Find those organizations that are about to be labeled criminal for helping supply abortions via mail and help them. Prior to Roe v. Wade there was a strong underground movement that helped provide access and those have been forming in anticipation and will grow. If supporting and aiding them makes you a criminal wear that badge proudly.

20 Likes

Well, shit. This is very bad. My condolences and sympathies to all the American BoingBoingers, especially the women.

22 Likes

I edited my comment to reflect that as well.
His wife is a lunatic, maybe it’s part of his grand plan…

6 Likes

christ, what a bunch of assholes

10 Likes