Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade

If this doesn’t get people out to vote nothing will.

Goddammit.

11 Likes

Pack the fucking court.

29 Likes

I’m a guy so my bodily autonomy was never on the line, but if the “every embryo is a human being” crowd had their way then IVF—and thus, my children—would not exist.

This ruling is going to impact Americans’ lives in ways most people haven’t even started thinking about yet.

45 Likes

Boycots? Really?! How about showing up to the polls!

12 Likes

Paxton has made this a holiday for his office. Great big “fuck you wimmins.* Let’s celebrate your rights being taken away!”

I am so angry. My head hurts I am so angry.

*Edit: yes, this screws over trans men too. But Paxton denies the existence of trans men. To him, everyone with a uterus is female

30 Likes

Either the mass of the majority’s
opinion is hypocrisy, or additional constitutional rights are
under threat.

Are dissents usually this blunt? Straight up saying their colleagues are ruling in bad faith.

29 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Roe and Re-Litigating 2016

No. They are not usually that blunt. The majority also usually doesn’t revoke the rights of over 50% of the population either

32 Likes

281bb4724424e3399a5e987fc594f98ca2f0ef07

40 Likes

In some states, I wouldn’t exist. My mother had an ectopic pregnancy before I was born, and in some states, treating an ectopic pregnancy would be illegal.

Reaction GIF

47 Likes

Nothing in this opinion should be understood to cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

36 Likes

One of the most infuriating aspects of this whole mess is that Trump himself doesn’t care one whit about abortion. In fact he was on record as being “pro-choice” before he decided to run for office as a Republican.

Americans are losing a fundamental human right not just because there has been a generations-long effort by ideological zealots to strip that right away, but because a single indifferent egotist decided to cater to those zealots for no other reason than his own selfish ambition.

55 Likes

Just donated to Planned Parenthood in “honor” of Clarence Thomas.

25 Likes

I wondered if this was already going on in Georgia, because Dragoncon this year has barely any TV/movie guests. Not that I was going anyway since the number of mass shootings has given me agoraphobia about any large gatherings.

5 Likes

Ugh…the Xiatian zealots are already gloating…disgusting hypocrites all of them.

14 Likes

The urban vs. rural, at least in Georgia, is the real divide. You leave a major metropolitan or major tourist area, and shit gets weird fast. Like anti-aborition billboards all the way to Florida (with a few “adult novelty” store ones peppered in). The “blue” voting has been slowly rippling out from Atlanta into the suburbs. When I moved here in 2005 my county was VERY solidly “red”, and it went for Hillary in 2016 (and my kids’ schools are some of the most diverse in the US).

19 Likes

So I’m assuming they are going to start adopting by the drove now?

/s

19 Likes

And if a woman dies because she’s forced to carry a dangerous pregnancy to term? :person_shrugging: That’ll just make sure our womanfolk are made of stronger stuff. /s

20 Likes

Part of the problem is that so many people cannot and will not see beyond their own lives. Hence the continuation of the pandemic.
There have always been a contingent of right wingers for whom this was a major goal forever and cheer the decision. But there are plenty of people for whom this decision falls into the category of “it doesn’t affect me”. We’ve created that culture somehow in our country. I got mine, don’t care about you.
It permeates our society. “Why do I care if a union gets busted?” “Why do I care if someone can’t marry who they want?” “Why do I care if abortion rights get trampled?” “Has nothing to do with me, so fuck it”. There is a scary number of people who think like that.
So in 2016, instead of voting for a qualified candidate for president, somehow enough people thought it was a good idea to elect a goddamned reality TV star. JFC. This timeline is fucked.
Women in TN will suffer because a super PAC got what they wanted for the 1 percent. That’s what a lot of this boils down to as well. Sickening.

29 Likes

Ominous

12 Likes