Supreme Court to strike down Roe v. Wade in draft ruling leaked to Politico

Maybe it’s time that instead of just accepting the final decisions that come down from on high, we should demand some visibility into “how the sausage is made.”

7 Likes

If we show up at a left-leaning internet forum and post “I don’t support the Democrats anymore,” what do we think is going to happen? People will thank us for such an original and helpful comment?

11 Likes

“That’s right, you ungrateful proles, as punishment for leaking the draft, we’re not goiing to continue to entertain you with our opinions-- we’re just going to issue an order.”

Which is sort of what the shadow docket was.

4 Likes

Perhaps they are afraid of an “insurrection” on the building.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from. and you are right: we progressives all have to work together to ensure that the above scenario doesn’t occur.

However, I believe the meme serves a very important point to say to the people (both men and women) who voted for Obama, twice, and then justified voting for Donny Moscow because, “I just didn’t like Hillary” (as if Hair Twitler was a better choice*), or just didn’t vote “Because she just didn’t inspire me”

These voters need to be reminded of their mistake. They need to hear it, own it, and say it: “Yes I screwed up by voting for the Fanta Menace. I now recognise that America is in an existential crisis and voting against democratic candidates because they don’t ‘inspire’ me is not a luxury any of us can afford.”

I know you are not one of these people as I read your comments down thread. But we HAVE to remind these people. It’s not shaming. It’s not fingerpointing. It’s just a fact: We HAVE to stop republicans. Otherwise the meme is America’s future.

(*Peter O’Rourke, a conservative commentator said he voted for Hillary because, (his words): “although she is wrong on every issue, she is at least wrong within normal parameters.” If 80,000 voters in three key states has this insight, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.)

2 Likes

I have absolutely no interest in arguing 2016, or 2020, yet again. It’s a distraction and a waste of time and energy that can be spent for far better purposes.

18 Likes

30 Likes

And if you think that this is only about abortion, you haven’t been paying attention. When abortion is criminalized, so is pregnancy. So are miscarriages. We are alreadyseeing radical extremist prosecutors throwing murder charges at women who miscarry. In states that ban abortion, it will become routine for police to investigate the circumstances of miscarriages.

And meanwhile, women will have fewer rights when they are pregnant than when they are dead.

22 Likes

They won’t, since its now a “states rights” issue, they can use that to keep red states red.

4 Likes

30 Likes

Red states are red largely due to voter suppression and gerrymandering. With enough motivation and engagement, some of those can be swung to purple or even blue. Witness GA. They have not gotten to where it is risking your life to vote, but they have managed to put up barriers that make it more difficult. Hours long lines in blue districts, moving/hiding polling places, demanding documentation many don’t have nor can easily access. But these can be overcome with organization and determination. And if the last year has not served as sufficient motivation, with all-out assaults on the rights of women, LGBTQ, Black and immigrant populations, I am not sure what will be sufficient. SO even, or especially, in red states, vote, help others to vote, help to organize and motivate, just talk to people about your views and see if you can’t change hearts and minds. Some are lost, granted, but some are just scared. It is not over. Not by a long way. But we need to get in the fight. In the words of the Bard:
“Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there’s nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour’d rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o’erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock”

(OK, so maybe not so much “English,” but you know where I’m going with this, right?)

23 Likes

Personal stories can hit home hard.

(Click to expand.)

28 Likes

I don’t think it is just about abortion. The decline in the US didn’t start there and if things go badly it won’t end there. Perhaps it is how Germany is covered by media in Canada, but my impression certainly wasn’t that everything was hunky dory there.

2 Likes

1/9

I’m sure that it’s not just greed for these men.

The company selling the data is SafeGraph. SafeGraph ultimately obtains location data from ordinary apps installed on peoples’ phones. Often app developers install code, called software development kits (SDKs), into their apps that sends users’ location data to companies in exchange for the developer receiving payment. Sometimes app users don’t know that their phone—be that via a prayer app, or a weather app—is collecting and sending location data to third parties, let alone some of the more dangerous use cases that Motherboard has reported on, including transferring data to U.S. military contractors. Planned Parenthood is not the organization performing the data collection nor benefiting from it financially.

23 Likes

This raises the point that some women choose abortion because of the financial burden. If anti-choice people want to reduce abortions, they should devise a proper infant and child care support system.

Also, it’s pretty clear that abortion restrictions don’t actually reduce the number of abortions and few people are talking about this. Finland, which has some of the most permissive abortion laws in the world, has about the same ratio of abortions to live births as the US.

Regardless, I don’t expect Gilead states to force the biological fathers into making child support payments.

13 Likes

In the past, as already stated, it was possible for a woman with adequate resources to travel to another country to get an abortion.

Will this even be possible in the future? The thugs behind the anti-choice movement want to make it a felony.

Posting this for the last paragraph.
“When you limit access to abortion, you don’t prevent an abortion from happening,” she said. “You prevent a safe abortion from happening.”

26 Likes

That’s an extremely punchable face.

16 Likes

So are the other eight.

11 Likes

Why stop at members of Congress? If Alito’s argument is that there’s no right to privacy for women seeking abortions, what right does he have to privacy?

I’d love to see a woman who was forced to carry a child to term because of one of the laws that overturning Roe re-enabled sue Alito, the others who joined his opinion, or the governors who enacted those laws for child support. After all, they’re directly responsible for the child being born. Sure, they’re unlikely to win the suit, but could a talented litigator make a case that gets to the point of getting Alito or the governors to the stand?

8 Likes

My Brother’s Father in Law wrote this book, based on his work with women denied abortion and their children. Further data if anyone needs it.

12 Likes