Surprise! Study shows Ivermectin makes suffering from COVID worse

I’m guessing this would probably be hypovolemic shock, and there would probably also have been an electrolyte imbalance or three along the way.

The way I explain the concept of shock to my students is that “Blood isn’t going there.” There can be a lot of reasons that blood isn’t going forward in the cardiovascular system. One can be that there’s not enough liquid in the body. Severe dehydration can do that (as well as bleeding out from a wound).

You are correct that electrolytes could have affected the heart, causing arrhythmia and potentially cardiac arrest, which could also be a source of shock because then the blood isn’t going because the heart isn’t pumping it. But different electrolyte imbalances cause tachycardia or bradychardia. I’m on the pure-physiology side of things, not clinical, so I’m not sure of the actual progression and which of these is the most likely culprit. But diarrhea is a major cause of hypovolemic shock.

16 Likes

Shit just got real.

12 Likes

“It’s ‘peer-reviewed’ - my peers had a look at it!”

3 Likes

This kind of rhetorical whiplash, with rapidly changing points of view and exhortations toward a very vaguely defined “we,” always make me suspect someone is trying to sell me something

19 Likes

All the "how"s and "you"s make me suspect that I’m being asked to do all the heavy lifting.

14 Likes

Help people become doctors! Did you make a doctor today? None of us have a right to an opinion if we didn’t make a doctor!

but don’t listen to the doctors when they tell us horse paste won’t help :confused:

15 Likes

Because he agrees with some of what they say. Because he thinks inviting a few people who have views he disagrees with actually makes him “fair” (or at least seem fair). Just because he’s providing cover for his real views doesn’t mean it’s a fully conscious strategy requiring an evil genius. He could very well be deluding himself that it’s all about “free inquiry” (which is how the right is framing itself these days) but there’s a difference between having open and honest discussions for the sake of getting to the truth - and having those discussions because you’re able to introduce extremist ideas (and put them on equal footing with mainstream notions) that you think will win out.

I mean, Fox “News” has always presented itself as ‘fair and balanced’ and invited on people with opposing views - so they could be discredited. Simply having on people with varying views does not, in itself, mean anything about one’s own position or intention. Rogan invites white supremacists on who spew out racist pseudoscience and Rogan’s response is basically just, ‘gosh, is that really true?’ No, it was completely, entirely false. But having someone on, who you know is going to tell these kinds of lies, and you don’t even push back - that’s not remotely free inquiry, that’s fucking propaganda.

19 Likes

Of course, everyone knows all vaccine promoting doctors are part of a globalist conspiracy to implant everyone with 5G mind control microchips on behalf of our lizard overlords. /s

10 Likes

That should have had a /s tag (kind of what the winky guy meant). I was just taking a jab at Brogan. Your intent was clear. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant

My wife is an MD, diagnostic genius, great with N-of-one cures, not as skilled in statistics. She studies many COVID treatments, and keeps Ivermectin and other meds handy (if civilization collapses, she can still treat parasitic disease).

If your wife isn’t skilled with statistics, and isn’t doing standardized treatments that have respectable studies to support them, she and you have no idea if she’d be doing better by just doing standardized treatment. Patients may like her, many patients may be getting better, but most people survive this disease and get better. I’m assuming from you post that she’s including ivermectin as one of her treatments. Playing hunches, even with the very best of intentions, and even with a scientific basis for how you HOPE a treatment will work, has led conventional and unconventional doctors down some very dark paths. Doing something, when there’s nothing that’s indicated by evidence based science may make the patient and the doctor feel like “at least we’re trying”, but it runs afoul of the rule of “first do no harm”. There is no demonstrated benefit of Ivermectin on covid, and there is mild harm. What reason does she have for using it?

9 Likes

@Hanglyman : Then Trump threw away Obama’s pandemic plan, leaving us wide open."

It’s worse than that. Pandemic preparedness was actually one of Dubya’s hallmark policy platforms, which received a massive amount of preparation and forethought. When Obama took it over, it cemented a bi-partisan legacy of serious cooperation for common risk. Trashing it wasn’t just spitting in Obama’s eye, it was junking some of the most significant governmental progress we’ve managed the decade prior.

15 Likes

Clinical experience with individualized treatments is why we had to invent medical science in the first place. Practitioners of humeric medicine, balancing the four humors with purges and bloodletting, knew from “clinical experience” their treatments worked. “Individualized” medicine that isn’t based on sound science is just making it up as you go, and is no better than pre-scientific medicine. Science is what we invented to separate what seems to be true from what is true.

8 Likes

“I might die of Covid, but at least I will be free of worms when I die.”

4 Likes

The worms will still get you in the end.

10 Likes

And at the same time as there are calls from some for moderation to avoid hurting feelings of those on the right, “mainstream” republicans like Rand Paul and Cruz launch full blown evidence free attacks on medical scientists like Fauci, and the entire Republican party is encouraging attacks on health officials since it works well with their strategy of using resistance to health measures as a wedge issue to keep power. Did the right wing not get the memo that it was bad to use blame?

7 Likes

Evidence without statistics is really just guessing. Statistics is hard because it’s difficult to determine exactly how much information is needed to be confident in action. Avoiding that doesn’t reduce the problem at hand. There’s a reason why evidence-based medicine is such a big deal. To be fair, getting individualized care even based on the existing evidence is hard enough, these days.

1 Like

It’s also really really easy to do statistics wrong.

A stats prof at uni would say to us “When I ‘dumb down’ a problem into bags of coloured marbles, it’s not to help you understand it. It’s to help me understand it. This is slippery stuff.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.