Surreal on many levels, enjoy this commercial for spray-on maple syrup

I kept hoping there would be a real use for it while watching. Seems like marketing people decided because they can make it there must be a market.

Also glad to see Coombs that makes this is in Vermont not the Coombs on Vancouver Island with the goats on the roof.

2 Likes

I think it’s a regional thing. I grew up in Massachusetts and while you might expect some sort of nasty corn-based “table syrup” at an IHOP or Denny’s, any good breakfast place would use real maple.

Now I live in California. I’ve payed as much as $15 for a plate of pancakes and still gotten the nasty fake stuff.

2 Likes

It has become standard in the NorCals to offer “syrup” and +$2 “Real Maple Syrup” – in the SoCals where I did the formative stuff it was mostly Log Cabin but I have not really been in many SoCal Pancakaterias lately. My SoCal breakfast thing is to go to a Deli because in NorCal there is none.

6 Likes

So, the biggest advantage I saw was that it both keeps the syrup out of the light, and doesn’t require refrigeration, which is why they showed it at the tailgating opportunity.

1 Like

I like my syrup warmed in the microwave prior to serving… maybe I can just put this pressurized can in some boiling water?

5 Likes

That’s just - wrong.

wrong
wrong
wrong

1 Like

“Amber streams” is gonna be a thing now, I guess.

6 Likes

Those seem like pretty thin advantages, given that maple syrup only requires refrigeration after opening, at which point it lasts relatively well even unrefrigerated (and long-term, the mold that grows on it isn’t toxic). It’s not like it’s going to go bad during an outing…

5 Likes

I was horrified by the people putting the maple syrup on meat items. Who the fk does that? You are sick, sick people and may God straighten you out some day.

2 Likes

It’s like a squeeze bottle for maple syrup, except that this pressurized version adds the benefits of higher cost and increased landfill (although sadly, fewer weird commercials).

2 Likes

I think that that is a sportspuck fan there.

3 Likes

To all the diabetics out there this product is very familiar.

2 Likes

Reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup_urine_disease

4 Likes

DF960229

6 Likes
2 Likes

I’m Southern. The default food groups are sugar, salt, fat, and alcohol. So hell yeah I eat my sausage patties with strawberry jelly or syrup.
I’m not getting another plate dirty for my eggs and waffles…syrup for all.

6 Likes

On my bacon or sausage? Daaamn straight I put on there skippy.

6 Likes

Seriously! I thought artisanal maple lacquered bacon was a thing…

3 Likes

I’m eating bacon with maple syrup right now! (I’m 100% serious. Just a little snack. This topic drove me to it. One should always have some leftover cooked bacon in the fridge in case of such emergencies. I had to type this post quickly so that it would be completely honest :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

unfortunately amazon has stolen the “ordered high late at night” market from late night paid programming

5 Likes