Survey: which soul-destroying cursed/enchanted item would you choose?

If getting sent to New Mexico is like killing someone then yes :joy:

4 Likes

I didn’t mean that, I :heart: NM! But in terms of fucking up someone’s day, that ticket was like the “no kill shelter” version of the gun of wrath, that’s all. :joy:

4 Likes

Or this one, from the 80’s reboot1:

>shudders< No thank you.

I’d probably go for the Flask (more for health than the booze) or the Ring (for self-confidence and mental heath.)

1 The episode’s only 24 minutes or so long; the rest of the YouTube video’s padded with repeated scenes, heaven knows why.

Spoiler for those who don’t have time to watch the video: the heroine stops the world on the brink of nuclear war. The last scene shows her looking up at a missile, frozen in the sky. She’s alone in a silent world, with the fate of the planet and her family on her shoulders…

4 Likes

I actually took the “none” option – all of these devices are so powerful that I would be unable to use them responsibly, and ultimately I would probably make the world a far worse place for everyone, and my own happiness would be quite fleeting.

However, my most “desirable” option would be the watch of sloth. Time is the one thing in the world that cannot be changed, and a tool that gives the ability to change time itself creates all sorts of possibilities. With creative uses, I could amass wealth, change political landscapes, and change the world in all sorts of altruistic and nefarious manners. By stopping time, this watch could do almost everything the other devices can do, and so much more.

My second choice might be the flask, simply because getting old is a real drag, and it’d be nice to not worry about sleep of disease or aging.

The other devices are cool, but to me, the timepiece just beats 'em all.

/edit – interesting that the Watch of Sloth hasn’t been chosen by anyone yet!

6 Likes

Ah, but which faith and “good works”?

And that’s how they get ya.

5 Likes

For me, the usable time to recharge time ratio was the deal breaker. And the small increments.
Not worth the…time :wink:

10 Likes

Gun of Wrath is surprisingly tempting. I’d probably go with the Wallet of Greed if its numbers were a bit different - like, X% of the monthly cost to live a comfortable middle class life in the local area, constantly adjusted based on inflation. Possibly tied to my current location (visit a stupidly expensive place for a few days of big money, get a lot less when I visit poor places), possibly tied to my last known Official Residence, either one works.

But honestly if I was sitting there talking with A Literal Demon then I’d rather just be, like, okay, wow, magic sure does work, and I sure can think of a lot of entities who are not going to demand my soul, and who are not gonna try to Monkey’s Paw my every request if I don’t plug every loophole; I’d hang out with the demon if we were getting along but then I would go call up some gods/angels/etc who are known for being happy to help.

5 Likes

Let’s be honest, most of us would pick the watch just to get more sleep, but then never use it in that way.

1 Like

So the Ring is like Limitless but without the potentially fatal withdrawal. The watch is reminiscent of John D MacDonald’s novel The Girl, The Gold Watch, And Everything.

6 Likes

I wonder why only a couple of them listed limitations or side effects.

1 Like

Nope. If I had that wallet, I’d be getting plenty of sleep!

Because your everlasting soul is that yummy. It’s worth it. :wink:

1 Like

Ring of Pride. I am already good with sloth.

13 Likes

I already have The Wallet of Greed… It’s called Bitcoin Wallet…

1 Like

Haha! I don’t think it’s meant to be a checklist, but I like your approach.

2 Likes

I’ve considered the Watch for so long that I couldn’t choose it.
The Twilight Zone thinks the worst part is breaking the watch? How about getting injured, or having a heart attack, or getting trapped somewhere?
What is sex like with the mannequin people? Are they pliable or do they stay rigid?
What if I’m driving 200 mph on the freeway and hit a popsicle stick?
Assuming I continue to age while others do not, taking a nap will end your official life sooner than smoking a cigarette.
Nah. Without money trouble, I’d take the Flask for the fitness.
Mind control rape sounds like the novelty would wear off, especially as I’m already in my 60s.
Same with the Ring. I don’t need to be a better, smarter person just for my twilight years.
Same with the gun. Do I really want to murder people just so I can continue to be this old and older? That would leave the only upside taking out people who YOU think deserve it. Meh.

A college kid might go with the Wallet or Ring. Older people want that Flask. The rest of them are just more trouble than they’re worth, not even counting the soul.

3 Likes

Wipe out world debt?

All you need to do is hope the World Bank takes credit cards.

3 Likes

Did someone just say “Ganesha”? Cause it sure sounds like someone said “Ganesha”…
:wink:

1 Like

None of the above. Automatic doors don’t open for you if you don’t have a soul.

5 Likes

I’d take the Watch of Sloth and track down the holders of the other six items and use the time stop to steal them. So…all of them?

Although the wallet is kind of pointless given the abilities of the other items, but it’d be nice for tipping waiters and such.

2 Likes

If this were real, and I was going to be given one of these, I would spend a nice bit of time weighing the choices.

I’m just wondering what kind of “monkey’s paw” type hidden curse is attached to each.

2 Likes