Swedish TV chefs celebrate cheez doodles day, but something goes terribly wrong on-air

I was thinking Cory, post-singularity. After we fought the robot-cyborg wars.

1 Like

I swear I have never been that stoned…

1 Like

Funnily enough I’ve never gotten the munchies from weed. I do get them if I drink too much. I think it’s an instinctive defense mechanism. My gut signals the brain: hey you this guy’s drinking too much. Make him cram a loaf of bread down his gullet to sop up the extra booze I don’t want to deal with.

2 Likes

If you can’t stand the heat, it was probably a mistake to set fire to the kitchen.

4 Likes

It doesn’t directly mean hell. It can mean ‘shit’, ‘damn’, ‘devil’, ‘fuck’ - translation depending on how it is used.

2 Likes

I have to respectfully disagree about the easy to clean part. My ceramic cook top is the most annoying thing to clean - yes they can be scraped off, but then you often need the special cleaner and a lot of elbow grease, even if the burner is turned off immediately and the mess mostly wiped away with a damp cloth. Anything that is left on the burner just continues to burn (and caramelize if there is sugar involved).

They also scratch quite easily, and if you accidentally drop a pot or pan it could crack/dent the cooktop and ruin the whole thing. Thankfully this hasn’t happened to me.

I find the removable trays from gas and older electric stoves much easier to clean - just soak in water and they usually wipe clean no problem.

1 Like

So she put the oil in the pan and then immediately put the cheez doodles in. Even if they hadn’t started on fire, they would have been soggy with oil, and not in a pleasant way.

And why were the other ones being steamed? If these things are anything like the extruded products made in the U.S., they would have been paste in a matter of 30 seconds or so.

They basically covered all the ways to NOT cook cheez doodles…including setting them on fire.

Which reminds me: these sorts of things are good fire-starters when you’re making a campfire. Generally one does not make a campfire on a stove in a kitchen, but maybe they were just practicing.

4 Likes

I don’t think they’re frozen so much as you shouldn’t deep fry gnocchi.

THIS!

Why is she cooking cheez doodles?! It makes no sense!

6 Likes

You must be watching a different video to me, because I’ve come to exactly the opposite conclusion.

2 Likes

I though her sudden-fire stamping skills were quite good, actually.

1 Like

Ok? I’m watching the same video and he doesn’t say anything about them being frozen.

Obviously, you need to try this with frozen ones and I need to try this with

Not the frozen/unfrozen part - I’ve just never thought of deep frying gnocci before and that’s about the most fun I’ve ever seen someone having while cooking.

2 Likes

Burnt butter sage sauce. That is all you ever need for gnocchi.

I found what looks like a do-able recipe for homemade cheetos . I need to figure out if I can use tapioca starch instead of pearls (I don’t have the right kind of coffee grinder for it), then I can get started.

The directions don’t specifically say that I need to burn anything while I’m cooking, so I should be OK on that front.

I mean, unless burning is implicit, then I guess I’m hosed.

2 Likes

URL seems to fail for me, but I found this: Crunchy Cheese Puffs | The Splendid Table that look entertainingly weird. Might have to have a bash at them too. :smiley:

1 Like

They’re much, much easier to clean if you can tolerate a little imperfection. :>

/I only razor-blade-scrape and wipe mine and almost never user that paste.

I’ve found that dry sodium bicarbonate makes a good non-abrasive degreaser for my glass cooktop.

After it is cold I scatter the powder over it and dry wipe it with my hands. Gently rub at the greasy spots. Brush it up, scrape with razor.

My gramps used to keep newspapers in the kitchen for post frying grease absorption and general clean-up. Which makes me shudder now thinking about god-knows-what was in that ink.