Swimming in a liquid sand hot tub

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/04/swimming-in-a-liquid-sand-hot.html

1 Like

I don’t like sand, it’s coarse, rough and gets in my science.

14 Likes

Gasp! That suggests so many fun ideas, of which replacing sand with glitter is only the beginning

11 Likes

I’m sure I would have been so much more engaged in middle school/high school science class if the lessons, or even videos, had been prepared this creatively.

7 Likes

It has a high yield fun factor.

5 Likes

Goggles suggested.

5 Likes

Glitter is herpes for your house. I am still finding golden glitter in weird places a year later.

10 Likes

You’re not alone. Scientists are suggesting glitter as we know it is as bad for the environment as plastic microbeads are

9 Likes

Fake Christmas tree ‘leaves’/‘needles’ too. Almost time to put up the tree again and I’m still vacuuming up last year’s.

Anyway, on-topic - wouldn’t the sand from this be very uncomfortable in various cracks and crevices?

6 Likes

would definitely recommend goggles

2 Likes

Those balls rising out of the sand were pretty creepy.

4 Likes

Great experiment and video, but personally I’d wear a very good mask.

Too much respirable crystalline silica and tremolite in that hot tub for me.

8 Likes

You just took my post. When I saw the young boy go under and saw the silica mist I was horrified. This is extremely idiotic and although I don’t think Boingboing has realized what they are popularizing, it reminds me of an NPR piece that glorified coal rolling as a fun all American thing to do. Sheesh…

3 Likes

Billions of years from now, as the sun goes red giant, the Earth will have mixed feelings. Down side: Oceans boil away. Up side: Glitter finally burns away, too.

5 Likes

“would definitely recommend goggles”

And bunghole sealant.

2 Likes

Would this be a good all-over-body pumice stone?

Don’t stay in there too long!

1 Like

Can’t be worse than spending the day at the beach or going to some sand dunes :slight_smile: Where i grew up we had both though at least generally when you go to the beach you sometimes have access to showers before the ride home. Not so much with dunes.

2 Likes

this guy needs to be the next science guy. some producer lock this guy up in a contract and get rich off of his earnings.

In these days when so many people wastefully fill their families’ pools and hot tubs with water it’s good to see someone teaching their children good traditional Fremen values.

14 Likes

Naturally, my impulse is to combine that machine with this one, and create impossibly huge objects.

6 Likes