Sycophant and former ambassador Nikki Haley struggles on the Today Show

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/12/sycophant-and-former-ambassado.html

5 Likes

O, gotta love the disingenuous and morally puerile line that corruption on the part of the Bidens somehow justifies Trump withholding Congress-approved funding to get a personal political favor.

“Two wrongs make a right.” - Ancient Russian Whataboutist Proverb

I don’t know what’s the worst, Haley’s seeming lack of intelligence, her opportunism, or her lack of integrity.

36 Likes

I heard her interview on NPR this morning on my way to work. I pulled the car over in a bad neighborhood with the windows rolled down and left for a while. When I got back, I had two car radios tuned to NPR.

51 Likes

She should have tried to write a book that either

• Appealed to Trumpists by making him look like a successful leader who is fulfilling campaign promises and running the White House like a well-oiled machine, or
  • Styled herself as someone who speaks truth to power by publishing an insider’s tell-all book about the current shitshow in the West Wing.

Instead, she’s trying to sell the idea that Trump is a successful leader whose own staff and appointees are constantly trying to stab him in the back and undermine him for no apparent reason.

24 Likes

When everyone knows she isn’t?

8 Likes

In that same interview, she also actually says: “In every instance I dealt with him, he was truthful”

puppetslaughing

27 Likes

Spit-laugh

23 Likes

11 Likes

risitas

14 Likes

Gotta love the WaPo header:

“Nikki Haley had it all. Then she wrote a book and blew it.”

There’s a country song in there somewhere.

20 Likes

Folsom Prison Blues?

18 Likes

I presume her target demographic for this book is “People whose brains are slightly less focused than a bowl of oatmeal”?

10 Likes

everyone really should go to the longer video of the interview at nbc, here–

and watch up to the one minute mark and by that point you will hear haley make one of the most amazing defenses of donald trump’s actions i’ve heard so far. the plain meaning of she says is that his actions vis-a-vis the president of ukraine would have been impeachable if he had succeeded in what he was trying to do but since it was a failed attempt at extortion then it isn’t impeachable. really, that’s her defense of trump. incompetence at criminal behavior is a defense against impeachment. my, my, my . . .

it’s quite compelling to see the look in ms.guthrie’s eye after haley says that and the rest of the interview just went downhill from that point because there really was nowhere else for it to go.

14 Likes

The idiotic spin about Traitor Trump as a “successful leader whose own staff and appointees are constantly trying to stab him in the back” is not exactly new. Former Trump staffer Cliff Sims wrote a book called “Team of Vipers” which was very much like that, although Sims wasn’t so concerned about insiders stabbing Trump as he was about insiders stabbing insiders (i.e. him). The Cult of Trump is very much alive and well and thriving on mountains of counterfactual information.

5 Likes

Her quick responses rule out a lack of intelligence (maybe) so I’m going with at the very least the other two.

4 Likes

I know some fans of Nikki, I doubt they’ve budged an inch.

1 Like

The Morning Joe crowd were fans of Haley. Haley was presented there as a principled person who did a good job as ambassador in a tough situation and resigned rather than doing unscrupulous things.

I saw a segment where they played this interview and it cut back to them all laughing, and Joe said, “Hey, Mike Pence, duck!” Haley has completely exploded their credibility with the pundit class (however much that matters). It definitely feels like Haley is bargaining a possible future run at president in a regretful post-Trump era for a possible run at vice-president and then president in a North-Korea-inspired post-Trump era.

In addition to suggesting Haley is an amoral monster, this suggests that Haley thinks this is the side to bet on.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.