Taco Bell exec fired after recorded assault on Uber driver

I wonder what kind of ‘end’ he is. I would prefer some specificity - ‘The end’ seems way to pompous.

Weaseling out of the video would have been a challenge anyway. It’s probably better to pick your battles.

1 Like

an aspirant.

2 Likes

Temporarily embarrassed billionaire?

2 Likes

I’d have expected the lawyer to argue the video was inadmissable due to some bullshit. :wink:

1 Like

Sorely wish BoingBoing hadn’t chosen to include the clip of violence above the lede. Sometimes adults wish to not see such things - even Americans.

This site feels more and more like a tabloid every time I visit.

6 Likes

The guy’s lawyers were like, “We know that being drunk isn’t an excuse, but, still… the guy WAS really drunk.”

(I also skipped watching video, for whatever that’s worth. Maybe if I have a few drinks…)

“This site feels more and more like a tabloid every time I visit.”

Mission accomplished!

10 Likes

“Prosecutors in California also filed criminal charges against Golden”

Notice it does not say a police car was dispatched, and Mr Golden was arrested, booked and fingerprinted. He then spent two hours in lockup until his lawyers posted bail, which stipulated that he could not leave the immediate area till his hearing.

But it does prove Trump’s point that if we continue to let immigrants in they won’t just quietly accept their whippings without whining about their rights and stuff. He probably also wanted to take some rich guys money to see a doctor and get checked out. Typical !

But please, more Elvis sightings, less Jim Baker…

1 Like

Turning the camera around to face is the new “F U”.

1 Like

They had me at “Taco Bell.”

1 Like

So, basically, the asshole’s life is ruined:

• He is going to be sentenced to whatever (jail, fine, damages, you name it)
  • The company he works for decided that they could fire him based on his behavior completely outside of the workplace, in a situation that had nothing to do with his job.

Do note that, depending on his personal financial state, the latter may prevent him from ever being able to pay whatever money he is going to have to pay to his victim. By the way, said victim isn’t dead, nor permanently maimed.

My point: how exactly does allowing Tacobell firing him for something unrelated to them helps having better society. Because, never forget, schadenfreude aside, the aim of a justice system is to make society a more civilised place to live in for all its members.
So, by all means, punish the guy, harshly, he deserves it. But if the punishment destroys a life (at least his, in this case), when no life was lost, how exactly is society improved?

1 Like

Thank you.

A proper court should sentence him to whatever he deserves. He should be sentenced to all the punishment he deserves, and only the punishment he deserves.

Loss of a job is a more severe punishment than a fine, and it’s unlikely that any other company will want to be publicly seen hiring him in the near future.

He may or may not deserve that more severe punishment. I don’t care enough about that. But it’s not right to have the punishment for a crime imposed by anyone but a proper court.

Cautionary tales are powerful societal tools.

1 Like

Well, the same argument has been debunked quite a number of times about the death penalty.
That being said, even if it were true, the guy acted while drunk. I very much doubt that any kind of cautionary tale wpould have any meaningful impact in any sort of similar situation.

Where does extrajudicial punishment start and where does others judging people by their conduct end? True, in many jobs employers don’t care if you smack a guy off the clock and even in this case the reaction would have been different if the incident hadn’t made the news. But especially for higher-level positions employers want to have confidence in their employees and they want to be perceived as being able to pick their employees accordingly. Presumably he was paid pretty well not just because of his awesome skills and credentials, but also because he was expected to meet higher standards in general. His job was one that not everyone could do on multiple levels.

Also “destroying a life” is relative. Chances are that he will end up working in some crap job with little chance of ever really making it big - like millions and millions of others.

Oh I didn’t say that the cautionary tale justifies it. I just said that they’re powerful societal tools, and that’s true.

That’s just something I just can’t abide to.
Sure, it’s easy in this case to be all high and mighty and be happy that, for once, the upper dog is going to get his comeuppance.
But do you really think you might never be in that guy’s shoes? I’m not talking being an utter bastard while drunk, but simply making some kind of mistake, or social violation that becomes somewhat public on the net and have you end up being fired by your employer because of it.
Never forget, If you deem a rule is appropriate for someone else, you have to accept it for yourself as well (in this case, having a company get rid of someone for something that’s in no way related to them).

MUH PRIVILEGES

really, fuck this guy

1 Like