Take on the world with this Wonder Woman gif

Lol yes, i recall the hoopla around it. Which is why i specifically used Tracer as an example. Thanks for offering up a link in regards to it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure how many clicks in that the butt-gate episode is in there. That was my old podcast :slight_smile:

Blizzard did learn a lot from the initial launch and outcry over some items; and they traditionally have a thing for listening to their player base (even if I think some of those voices are coming from a small minority at times - specifically thinking of hardcore WoW raiders complaining about catering to casuals in WoW who are the overwhelming majority).

That said…I believe they tried to be diverse and varied in their character designs overall and still cater to the various groups within their gaming population. I think Mei, DVa, and Zarya were examples of them taking into account feedback.

Interesting to me how the feedback was critical of Tracer and her victory pose; but seemed to ignore Widowmaker’s entire ensemble all together.

Exactly. She isn’t a real person! Every part of her was deliberately chosen by devs.

Yes. Both boys and girls are informed about themselves by stuff like this. It doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

9 Likes

The somewhat frustrating part was that Blizzard doubled down on Tracer and decided to not alter her outfit to be less objectionable. And the victory pose as slightly modified juuust enough to make it less about her ass… while still having her pop her ass out. Blizzard takes customer feedback for sure but i’m keenly aware they know sex sells.

And yeah Widowmaker as a character is… baffling to me. Out of all the characters she’s one i really don’t care for how she was designed.

6 Likes

I don’t see the issue on Tracer. The pants are like tights - which lots of women wear. A lot of kids wear. Hell a lot of hipster guys wear the form fitting skinny jeans now. I don’t see why tight fitting pants is objectionable.

She is classic Femme Fatale. The sexy women who uses it as a detraction and lure in the fools. Combined with her name it is rather blase.

IIRC, one of the original complainers said it made sense for Widowmaker as her sex appeal is part of her persona and weapon. It was misplaced with Tracer.

But hey, what everyone likes is different and what one finds acceptable is different from person to person.

It seems more like an excuse or premise to put a character like that in the game, which reads as lazy and pandering to me. But interesting how said objectification only happens with women. Let’s make this even:

16 Likes

Dear lord, what happened to her spine on the left though? Is she okay? She looks like that guy Justin Hammer had test pilot his attempt at Iron Man armor.

EDIT: The one on the right. Not the left. I’ll just… show myself out…

It’s a bit tired. But, still, even with some sexiness to her, she’s pretty mellow compared to many othrers.

I think it is more prevalent in women, but male arch types aren’t typically 90lb glasses wearing nerds. There certainly are a hell of a lot more chiseled abs in game than IRL. Men are visual creatures and simple minded in a lot of ways, thus easy to manipulate. If “something shiny” makes it attractive, its hard to find a reason to not include some of it.

Though to be clear I am acknowledging that it is way over done in society and often goes way too far with women. Whats more, it isn’t just in media created for men or general audiences, but often by women for women audiences as well.

My original point, which is probably lost now, is that Overwatch is more of an example of moving in the right direction.

1 Like

Actually, given the position she is in, she is anatomically correct. The left one is Adam Hughes who is one of the absolutely best in the business. I think you are confused with the forced perspective and her cape overlapping across her hip.

Hughes pencils of the female form are ahem accurate…however there is a big caveat as he admits he used “nudie mags” to learn form and figure. Not exactly the most accurate or realistic source material, but then for comic book superheroes some would argue its perfect.

2 Likes

No, sorry, I’m an idiot who can’t tell his left from his right. The one with the sensible costume, and the less sensible pose.

3 Likes

LOL! Oh well, that is just the work of an amateur who DOESN’T understand anatomy and form as well…but did make a fairly practical outfit.

Honestly, one of the things I always think about with heroes like Powergirl, Superman, Rogue, etc…they are nigh invulnerable. So unless your clothing is made of similar material to your skin that is also bullet proofs and such…you would actually want to wear LESS. Because DUH…you are invulnerable and wearing more clothing would just mean a higher seamstress bill.

in the WW film she actually asks how women fight in the era dresses. It makes sense for WW to wear an armor based uni as first she is a greek amazon and it would match their sense of style and attire; but also she is not invulnerable. She would want armor in key places as she can be cut from projectiles and blades. She just heals incredibly fast through magic.

Tights are not pants- they are socks. Lots of women and children wear leggings, though not usually leggings that cleave their buttocks. The fact that leggings exist doesn’t explain the editorial choice to pose her the way that they did.

Snipers rely on stealth. Not only is there no opportunity for distraction, being seen while loaded with a heavy sniper rifle is dangerous. Both women’s designs are tired tropes that make women into eye candy.

13 Likes

Probably because it’s not an “M” rated game, but they somehow still felt the need to sexualize the female characters.

What does that have to do with objectifying men in general?[quote=“Mister44, post:28, topic:103768”]
Men are visual creatures and simple minded in a lot of ways, thus easy to manipulate. If “something shiny” makes it attractive, its hard to find a reason to not include some of it.
[/quote]

No.

ETA these excuses are as tired lame the tropes applied to Widowmaker and Tracer.

7 Likes

My teenage daughter watches her friends wear just leggeings and no other bottoms. Her mom and I have routinely reminded her that leggenibgs like that are not to be worn as pants.

She is not pleased each time we reinforce this.

Oh, I feel a bit bad about slagging it off then. I’ve seen enough professionals do the spine twist thing that it didn’t tip me off it was fan art, and I’d normally never be that critical of non-professional art.

I do believe that Superman’s superfabric is about as indestructible as he is, for whatever reason. For the rest of them, what you say makes sense. Except maybe Rogue. Rogue would probably want to keep pretty well covered. Even superheros bump into strangers sometimes.

2 Likes

Yeah. Rogue is one who should be covered head to toe.

Bad spinal injuries you say? Always calls for some LIEFELD!!!

5 Likes

Dude… noooooo.

You’re better than using the lamest justifications available for gratuitous female sexual objectification.

ALL people are visual and visually stimulated, not ‘just men.’

But as Magdalene put it so succinctly the last (and umpteenth) time this conversation was had:

20 Likes

High marks for this response. Higher marks for using a Gus gif.

4 Likes

Gus’ facial expressions are perfect for reaction gifs…

7 Likes

Finally saw Wonder Woman today! Quite an enjoyable film but boy howdy did it share a lot of plot points with Captain America: The First Avenger. Like the strength-enhanced rogue German guy who murders his fellow officers so he can continue his secret weapons program. It even ended with an American soldier named Steve played by a chiseled blonde guy named Chris heroically sacrificing himself to keep an improbably large German airplane from killing countless civilians with poison gas bombs.

2 Likes