Take on the world with this Wonder Woman gif

I’m sorry, I can’t read or like that yet since my cousin and I are planning to see it this weekend…

2 Likes

Enjoy! Like I said it’s still a good movie. Just… familiar in some respects.

3 Likes

That many/most male characters are idealized and attractive. I’ve already said that the level of sexualization is less than in women, but it is still pretty prevalent that the male hero is some one “women want, and men want to be”.

Acknowledging it happens - and WHY - isn’t the same thing as justifying it or excusing it. I don’t believe I’ve done either.

The reason these things exist is because it appeals to some people on a base level. If two identical products sell differently because of the packaging, then it is very easy to see why one would produce that type of packaging. I’m not saying that makes it right or ok.

Again what started this was complaining about Overwatch was “borderline”, when I think it is a good example of a company trying to offer up diverse and non-stereotypical characters. While overall attractive, I don’t think they are hypersexulalized either.

Fair point Widowmaker is blase, I already mentioned that. And originally their line up didn’t look like this. But they took the effort to listen to fans and commenters, and expand the line up. If all they had to offer was Tracer and Widowmaker, this criticism would be well warranted. But they have many other characters with a much larger variation of color, age, and body type than pretty much any other game like this. It’s fair to say they can work to continue to improve, but I also think it’s fair to say they are moving in the right direction.

My doctor friend is usually clad in leggings and some long sweater or shirt (and presumably her doctor coat on duty). I guess she finds them comfy.

3 Likes

You make me really glad I skipped the first Captain America movie, and never looked back.

If DC is stealing narratives from Marvel films and the final result ends up not being a depressing, violent train wreck, then I’m okay that.

Also, I’m extra okay with any chiseled blonde guy by any name heroically sacrificing himself, instead of the usual trope where a person of color is the one doing the ‘heroic self-sacrifice’ to save the white protagonists’ asses; that unfair racial trope has been done to death… pun intended, obvs.

Fair enough, but saying “men are more visual” is a highly fallacious reason; it’s simply not true.

It’s merely that women are typically socialized to suppress their urge to ‘look,’ whereas men are encouraged to indulge theirs.

12 Likes

Honestly I’m not even sure who is stealing from who because I’m not familiar enough with the early comics to know if Wonder Woman had (for example) a bulletproof shield with a star in the middle or a ragtag multi-national group of misfits to carry out secret missions behind the German front lines with before Captain America did.

1 Like

Um. Wait. Please tell me that you know nothing of Wonder Woman or Captain America other than these two films. Because of your knowledge base ends there then I can forgive your ignorance to the actual comic book history of both characters and how they already lined up with similar plot points and details long before the films ever happened.

First skipping Captain america: The Winter Soldier is a shame. It’s a fantastic film only made more fantastic by the fact it is a superhero film ta boot.

Great ensemble cast. Well acted. Well scripted. Just top notch all around.

Second. The tripe in films especially war films IS the big blonde hero guy sacrificing himself. There was an episode of MASH from season 1 “sometimes you hear the bullet”. It specifically deals with this tripe in books and movies "the big dumb blonde hero who dies and says “I never heard no bullet”. And Hawkeye’s best friend says “that’s not how it happens.” alluding to how hey hear it and they scream and cry and die pitifully, not heroically.

1 Like

Well obviously they always had a lot of overlap. I just didn’t expect anything quite so note-for-note as the aforementioned Steve-played-by-Chris-bidding-goodbye-to-his-love-interest-before-sacrificing-himself-to-fly-the-German-airplane-filled-with-poison-gas-bombs-to-a-safe-distance-from-civilization scene. I mean, that’s a perfectly valid way to end a superhero period piece set during a World War, I just wouldn’t have thought they’d opt to use it for two such movies in a row.

2 Likes

Fair point. That specific detail is very “appropriate” to a ww1 or ww2 flick, and could have been done differently for WW since for Cap that was exactly the original storyline for his origins as to being frozen for 50 yrs.

Both named Steve is accurate to comics as is them being blonde. Both being played by guys named Chris is coincidental nothing more.

beyond having both main male parts “die” by sacrificing themselves is the only piece that stands out as “couldn’t it have been done differently?” But honestly I think they chose to end Steve Trevor’s storyline how they did so as not to have the duplication of marvels Rogers and an elderly Peggy Carter.

Also. “In a row”? You know marvel and D.C. Films are entirely independent of one another. And that CA the first avenger is now in fact 6 years old? These aren’t “in a row” in any way shape or form.

I’d call it more of a “trend” than a coincidence. White guys named Chris are always playing Captains and pilots and space heroes and guys who work with Zoe Saldana. Some even do all those things in the same movie.

12 Likes

“In a row” meaning that they are the last two big-budget Hollywood movies putting an iconic titular superhero in a period film set during a World War. Given that, I would have expected them to avoid plot devices that would encourage such direct comparison.

1 Like

Amen. I’m still not sold on Justice League yet though.

1 Like

From what little has been shown of Justice League online i’m not very hopeful. It looks like a mess plot-wise and my confidence in Zach Snyder is non-existent. However i’m not actively rooting for it to bomb, i would like to see it succeed so i would like to be proven wrong. In the meantime i will keep my expectations low.

3 Likes

Same here; I’ll probably stream that one eventually unless I hear some stellar reviews from fanboys and fangirls whose opinions I trust implicitly.

3 Likes

OK, fair point that women are also visual. I guess I am going off of old info from the myriad of relationship books I read during marriage about women and men and sex and the like.

I didn’t mean to suggest women don’t also like looking at nice men (or women). Clearly they do or we wouldn’t have 12 seasons of Supernatural ;). In my observation, men seem more easier to manipulate with this sort of thing, but I concede I haven’t looked up to see if that is true. Maybe I know the wrong people.

We need more Steves. I’m available if they don’t mind damaged goods. Just get my good side. In dim lighting. With some rain coming down. And add a few lens flares.

3 Likes

Fuckin’ A; when are they gonna finally let that shit go, already?!?!

I mean, don’t get me wrong; I love looking at Jensen & Jared, and their chemistry is great, but c’mon… the show’s been on so long that they’ve both literally died several times a piece, and they’ve fought every kind of monster you can think of, at least twice.

What else is there left to do???

3 Likes

Steve Rogers and Steve Trevor were both played by Chrises, so I guess the challenge now is to find the right combination of “comic book character named Chris” and “actor named Steve.”

2 Likes

I don’t know. I haven’t really seen that many shows and haven’t gotten sucked in. Do I have enough years left in my life to even catch up? But I have kept watching a show or film when I shouldn’t have due to the actors or actresses.

Fun fact - there is someone with an identical car like theirs all decked out at some of the cons around here. Including the trunk full of stakes and crossbows and guns and the like.

So when they do my bio pic I need to find a Chris? Good to know, I am new to this.

1 Like

Fact; I can’t blame them, the 1967 Impala is a classic work of art:

6 Likes

Beats the shit outta my ride.

3 Likes