Tater Tots are tasty trash

Wait… they’re not?

2 Likes

Tots were originally the bits and pieces left over from making french fries, definitely not a slurry. Now they chunk up whole potatoes to make them because we can’t seem to get enough tots in our lives.

Last year’s empty freezer cases for a full quarter of the year still haunt me. TP was fully stocked before the frozen potato section was. I didn’t find a bag of onion tots until November!

11 Likes

If you are what you eat, you can also call me tasty trash.

5 Likes

I like my tots salty and dipped in honey.

3 Likes

Our waffle iron makes very disappointing waffles (flabby, no crispy exterior). But I am going to try this culinary innovation before consigning the darn thing to the Goodwill pile. Thanks!

3 Likes

Wrong animal starting with a C… that’s cats he’s talking about.

Not new information but still good to remind people where their food comes from. I like them on occasion and nothing wrong with reducing food waste

2 Likes

We discovered the joy of totchos a couple of years ago. They do take longer to prepare than regular nachos, but are well worth it. Pro-tip: top the finished product with a drizzle of sour cream or ranch dressing mixed with your favorite hot sauce. Mmm…

3 Likes

Local BBQ place has this on the menu, and they are spectacular:

Dirty Tots
Tater Tots covered in Cheese Sauce topped with Pulled Pork & Tangy BBQ Sauce

8 Likes

those little nuggets of deliciousness got us through the pandemic in increments of 5lb bags. i will not have anyone disparaging them by calling them “trash”, lol

EDIT: i meant to mention, “Tater Tots” are a trademark of Ore-Ida. not all cylindrical-shaped potato products are TOTS! that’s why you see lots of weird terms in other manufacturers, like “coins” etc. But the originals are still the best, in my opinion.

5 Likes

If no cocktail sauce, copious amounts of ketchup and your favorite hot sauce (Me? Anything habanero). Push the hot to the threshold until pleasure bleeds through.

tater tots are so good. I’m three months in keto and I miss them a lot.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I could say “totwaffle” in polite company and not feel I’d inadvertantly uttered some deeply vile British slang.

12 Likes

I was thinking it sounded like some kind of WWII-era German military unit.

7 Likes

The power of - LARD!

2 Likes

McDonalds Canada (which is very different in how they do things from their US counterparts) has a great video showing the process:

Bonus fact: I had no idea the different nugget shapes had names!

4 Likes

Unless you make your own.

There are many recipes on the Internet. This is one of them:

(Baked at that temp/time, a little diced bacon would cook fine, just saying.)

3 Likes

Trigger Warnings: tasteless pun (even more so than tots without ketchup), literal trigger-pulling, political satire, religious satire

—-

Little known fact: It is best to serve Tater Tots in even numbers.

Why? Not just so you don’t have to fight your dinner companion over the last one.

It is because that way you can offer victims of the latest mass shooting (alas, I don’t even need to check the news to use that phrase) your tots in pairs.

1 Like

Just don’t get too personally involved with them, it will end in tragedy.

5 Likes

My favorite is a funeral potato casserole using tots instead of hash browns (leave off the corn flakes). As I recall, Walmart used to call their store labeled tots “Tater Barrels”; I haven’t been in a Walmart in years.

1 Like