Tater Tots are tasty trash

Burger King used to sell coin-like tater tots for breakfast back in the day, and I always thought that when done right they were like golden fatty salt drops from heaven. Yeah, same potato debris basis, but the flat surface really worked for me.

2 Likes

Last summer, BK still had those on the menu. COVID time is pretty whacked out, but is last summer now “back in the day”?!?

4 Likes

I have a fry-sliced potato in the air fryer right now. Couldn’t bear to waste any of the potato knowing I would be throwing out material valuable enough to make tater tots.

1 Like

That reminded me about a boy at my secondary school, who used to tip a plate of chips (or fries) into his blazer pocket at the end of lunch and eat them during his next lesson.

Blazers were removed from the school uniform at the end of that year, for some reason :thinking:

5 Likes

It’s been a long time since I’ve gone there for breakfast, so I wasn’t sure if they still carried them. I generally have to avoid burger-based fast food; I never feel sated only consuming a reasonable amount of calories from those places. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Only on the road will I attempt fast food. It’s one of the few things on the breakfast menu I can eat. At BK, I think it’s the only thing. The coins are way better than the “hash browns” at McD, so it’s my preference if I’m starving because we hit the road at 4 AM and Subway isn’t open yet.

3 Likes

Hey. I won’t tallow you how to spend your life.

1 Like

No judgement here! If I had a speedy metabolism I’d put down an embarrassing quantity of BK breakfast. So good.

1 Like

Have you tried the Waffles of Insane Greatness?

We have an old low-heat waffle iron as well, but this recipe, coupled with leaving it in longer than you’d expect, makes perfectly-crispy waffles that have a cracking shell and are still soft on the inside:

3 Likes

Thank you for the link, and – amazingly – my family and I have actually eaten at Aretha Frankenstein’s! We live in Atlanta, but visited Chattanooga several years ago. I remember the experience being very satisfying! Thank you for rekindling that memory! I’ll try out the recipe next time we fire up the ol’ iron!

2 Likes

Eh, no surprise and no biggie. It’s not like they use the best looking, whole apples for applesauce when they have apple pieces or fugly apples available. That’s why these kind of products exist.

Will still kill a man for some good tater tots, that is no lie.

2 Likes

If tots are wrong, I don’t want to be right.

Also, there’s a food truck locally that does “thai style” steak tots that are an amazing mix of sweet, sour, savory, spicy mind bendingly delicious. Crappy school lunchroom food elevated to sheer bliss.

1 Like
3 Likes

I like to bake tater tots. I put tinfoil on a cookie sheet, and stick it in the oven so it can also preheat. I take out the cookie sheet when the oven’s ready, and b/c it’s hot, it’s easy to stand 'em all up on one end. That makes 'em taste even better.

1 Like

Never have I regretted having a vertical waffle iron more than today!

Counterpoint:

Tater Tots are only so-so. Sometimes you gotta mainline the pure shit:

My grandmother fried them in schmaltz and those are the latkes that beckon me across the gulf of time, but canola oil works well enough. Come to think of it, I have potatoes that need using and a holiday weekend coming up. Crispy, salty deliciousness is in my future.

9 Likes

Mmmm potato gems.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.