Teacher accidentally discharges handgun in school toilet, hurting self

Those damned fries with mayo and mussel eaters!

I was thinking the same thing so I did some looking and yeah, I was thinking about the Idaho State one that catgrin mentions butā€¦ this seems to happen a lotā€¦ This is the most interesting thing I came across: http://homicidecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Teachers-with-Guns-RESEARCH-REPORT-FINAL.pdf

2 Likes

Strangely though for most people who live there, including Arabs and other minorities, love the place. The trick is not to evaluate a place you have never visited by ratings driven TV infotainment or commentary by outsiders engaging in sports team like side taking. By both satisfaction/happiness surveys and life expectancy it is a significantly better place to live than the US despite the cost of living to income ratio and the security situation.

The NRA encourages all Americans to have a desperate, paranoid worldview. For example:

We know that in the world that surrounds us, there are terrorists, home invaders, drug cartels, carjackers, ā€œknockoutā€ gamers, rapers, haters, campus killers, airport killers, shopping mall killers, and killers who scheme to destroy our country with massive storms of violence against our power grids or vicious waves of chemicals or disease that could collapse as a society that sustains us all.

Thatā€™s Wayne LaPierre, their Executive Vice President. The ā€œgood guy with a gunā€ guy, Their official response to Sandy Hook, and most school shootings is More Guns. Because their response to everything is More Guns (except Ferguson).

Gun owners I know use guns for hunting, and keep them safely locked away from the kids. But gun owners on the internet seem to live in a world of constant home invasions, where there are no police, and only the armed survive. I have visited many American cities, but not all of them. I do not know where this bad place is.

16 Likes

ā€œCitation neededā€ doesnā€™t even begin to cover what is wrong with your statement.

3 Likes

Really? Good.

One good thing about fries with mayo is that you canā€™t contemplate eating a whole plate of them. You eat a few, then when you begin feeling ill, you stop. Itā€™s kind of brilliant.

4 Likes

A sound studio in Hollywood?

4 Likes

Woo Murica Lets all have carry permits despite it being a stupid fucking idea. Woo Murica

[quote=ā€œwaetherman, post:25, topic:40957ā€]
ā€œCitation neededā€
[/quote]Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, or Wikipedia are good places to start for researching statistics, but a visit staying with different people and an open mind would help more. World travel on a couch surfy level and getting to know real people from the affected area really helps the privileged American mind open up and understand that most issues are not as simple as 30 minute format TV programming would lead you believe or how the propaganda is crafted by those who directly profit from conflict.

Lived in or near big cities nearly all my life. Seen the usual crazy, scary stuffā€¦nothing more, nothing less.

Never carried a gun. Never needed one. Never felt the need for one. The NRA represents the usual far-right ethos that nearly everything, everybody, everywhere is out to get you. If they would simply stick to their original mission of education, safety, and common sense advocacy, I sure would not have a problem with what they are doing. Iā€™ve got several gun-afficionado friends, and I really do get it. But the NRA has long gone off the rails into looney-land.

The insanity of a mishandled gun incident in a school is just a logical consequence. Weā€™ve got to shift the discussion.

7 Likes

Lingering explosive gasses couldā€™ve made the situation much worse, if the restroom were poorly ventilated.

I guess we could send surplus military body armor to the schools to protect the kids from their protectors.

2 Likes

Not that I agree with it, but Iā€™m sure the argument would be that Newtown, CT and Littleton, CO are upper-middle-class suburbs as well.

1 Like

In her capacity as a teacher Iā€™m hard pressed to think of any remotely sensible reason(especially given the apparent competence level that an accidental discharge incident suggests).

However, in the interests of fairness, it is worth remembering that her motive (while quite possibly still misguided, especially given how tepid the expected performance of an inadequately experienced user with a pistol is) might have nothing to do with her day job. Maybe sheā€™s just a raging concealed carry nut. Maybe her abusive ex has violated a restraining order for the fourth time in the past couple of months and the local PD donā€™t give a damn. Maybe something else.

If she is, indeed, packing to be ready to be the good people with guns when somebody with an AR-15 and a grudge shows up, Iā€™m deeply unimpressed. However, in absence of evidence that she was carrying the gun with her day job in mind Iā€™d at least consider the various motives outside of work that might apply.

2 Likes

Something tells me the next accident is going to leave a lot more of a mark

1 Like

If only her leg had been armed this horrible tragedy could have been avoided

14 Likes

See if anyone can top this headline from Fark: ā€œTeacher shoots armed and dangerous nutjob in elementary school bathroomā€

14 Likes

Iā€™m with you on the mussels, but Belgium is where I learned that french fries can be eaten with Bearnaise sauce. And for that, everything else can be forgiven.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a fair point, thanks.

5 Likes