Teacher accidentally discharges handgun in school toilet, hurting self

You win the internet.

3 Likes

I do. I live amongst them. It is unbelievably white here, and there are plenty of well paid police. There are a lot of guns, and much paranoia, and the occasional jingo jingle when war is in the air. Heck, my Boy Scout troop used to practice close order drill, you know, so we’d have a leg up when the draft came. Thanks parents!

5 Likes

Holy crap. That ends with someone shooting themselves in the foot. There’s some kind of multidimensional synchronicity occurring there, no question.

[Citation needed]

Not to turn this into an Israel Palestine argument or anything…

Edit: D’oh, @waetherman beat me to it.

2 Likes

Sure… I’ll use DuckDuckGo to find out how many Palestinians enjoy living in the state of Israel.

Wait, what?

(Lest anyone thing this is too off-topic, the question is whether living in a state where people prioritize military/armed solutions to problems is a good thing.)

5 Likes

There. FIFY.

6 Likes

The comparison isn’t about how great a place Israel is to live in, or even middle eastern politics. The comparison is how well/seriously do they take their security.

Simply, they have a lot of experience, and they don’t screw around. Going through security in the US vs. Israel, or even an Israel-bound flight is night and day.

1 Like

Maybe your research will surprise you. Most things in life are worse than being a minority in a Jewish majority state, being a minority anywhere is difficult and sometimes embarrassing but not all bad compared to being a member of the majority in most surrounding countries. Compare being a Palestinian in Haifa to being one in Palestinian rule Ramalla or worse Gaza City, they actually elected a fundamentalist party who supports genocide to expel the PLO kleptocracy, and it backfired, Abbas is still in power, the PLO now runs the west bank as unelected dictators. It is not an easy situation to understand across an ocean, some reading on the subject might help though from your attitude unless you actually experience the honest unfiltered situation with an open mind you will never have a chance to begin to understand.
Apologies to the thread for responding to this OT.

In Utah, they Eat them with something they call fry sauce, which I believe is just spicey Mayo. maybe we have discovered some strange correlation.

See. This is the kind of thing I’m talking about.

We’ll assume that what you’re saying isn’t complete bullshit. If that’s the case, it’s not particularly surprising that in an adverse situation, people have found a way to still go about their day to day lives. That these circumstances have forced people to raise or lower the various bars of their expectations or happiness indexes in order to continue is actually expected.

That you would hold up this survival instinct/blissful ignorance as some sort of selling point is the galling thing.

If the choice is living in Israel and living a long, “happy” life, or living somewhere else for only a scant 70-80 years with the occasional sense of ennui I’ll take the country where I don’t have to worry about rocket attacks, suicide bombers, and how well trained the armed gaurds in my primary schools are.

But that conversation is impossible to have without bringing up why they take security so seriously, right? And that reason is that the, and everyone around them, have been total dick bags for the past 70 odd years. Also it’s easy to take security “seriously” when you’re willing to violate people’s human rights in the process.

When U.S. schools actually need highly trained, armed volunteers to protect their schools, that will be the point at which we deserve what we get. We’ve missed more than a few keys steps before that we reach that point.

I commend her in her heroism!
Get them before they get us!
Man “seriously injured” by exploding toilet - Boing Boing

(we just had one go off at work about a week ago – somehow missed it when we did a recall check)

2 Likes

Despite the obvious carelessness that resulted in the accident, one thing is certain. After reading this story and finding out that an estimated 1% of Utah teachers may or may not be carrying a gun to work, if I was planning something horrible, I wouldn’t do it in a Utah school. The same sort of accident could happen to a police officer, soldier, or other trained professional, but that story doesn’t get the headlines like this one does. It’s not cool that she shot herself, nor does it work out in any positive way. Hopefully the students have learned something about gun safety, and hopefully the school follows this with a well planned and thoughtful assembly.

1 Like

This comparison is kinda bullshit too…Israel has one international airport in the whole country so yes, they can afford to guard it like Fort Knox.

The U.S. has over 5000 airports with paved runways. Dis-economies of scale dictate that there’s no way we can secure them to the same extent that Israel does.

2 Likes

That is the oddest reservoir tank I’ve ever seen in a toilet.

1 Like

They are pressurized to get a mega-flush out of a low volume of water.
There was a crappy weld on ~8 years worth of tanks that can result in a release of pressure that shatters the ceramic tank.

4 Likes

No I don’t think that could have happened to ‘any’ trained professional. Trained professionals that respect their weapons do not have them accidentally discharge while on the toilet. Guns do not just accidentally discharge. Either the gun was holstered improperly or she was playing with it like a toy.

Look, I think that the idea of having guns in suburban elementary schools is a dumb idea. The danger of an attack of the newtown/columbine/sandy hook shooting is miniscule, no matter how horrifying they are. There are so many more serious threats that we decided not to care about. But having untrained teachers carrying those guns not subject to any regulation or oversight is insane criminal negligence on the part of our policy makers.

6 Likes

To suggest that this would be an effective deterrent against mass shootings is ridiculous. People who go on mass shooting rampages are, pretty much without exception, homicidal/suicidal maniacs who EXPECT to get gunned down. The ones who aren’t taken out by a SWAT team often just shoot themselves.

There were armed officers on site at many of the recent mass shootings you could name, including Columbine, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood (2009 & 2014), and many, many more. “1% of teachers might be armed” isn’t going to dissuade someone with a mind for massacring school children.

9 Likes

4 Likes

You keep suggesting there is research to be seen. I actually followed your suggestion and went off to DuckDuckGo and tried several variations of “Happiness poll Palestine,” and found nothing.

The ball’s in your court, or stop telling us how happy Arabs are in Israel.

4 Likes