Ted Cruz: "America has always been best when she is lying down with her back on the mat."

I get the sentiment, but Eugene McCarthy said it better:

“America can choke on a gnat, but she can swallows tigers whole.”

4 Likes

Right, and is America now lying down? Or should we somehow work toward a situation where America is lying down, and therefore at her best? And who’s the other wrestler in this metaphor?

9 Likes

I think his one is perfectly fine, as it adds the element that the rest of the world is acting like the downfall of the US has already happened. But there are plenty of similar sporting or fighting analogies that you could use - on the back foot etc.

The association with sex (that wouldn’t have been there if America had been metaphorically male) is our own - Ted Cruz didn’t mention it. I agree that there is plenty of repugnant stuff that Cruz and Trump say, but this is just a “that’s what she said” joke - taking a metaphor of America as a strong and underestimated wrestler in a temporarily vulnerable position and claiming that it’s about sex because of the female pronouns.

Why assume that a woman in a wrestling ring is being assaulted? I know I’m pushing the point, but making a big deal about this statement presumes that we can’t imagine a woman holding her own in the wrestling ring - it must be about something else.

The phrasing is odd though, definitely.

5 Likes
Don’t let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

Does he really have a problem where American after American is walking up to him and saying, “Oh, woe is us, Ted! America has been raped and sullied and is now stuck on the mat! She won’t get up! She’s at the bottom of every Nation-state metric there is! There’s nowhere to go but down! We’re all gonna die! Game over, man!”

But do carry on, Ted. The late night comics are always in need of more material.

1 Like

Excellent point.

A more apt comparison would be something like this:

Hint: that’s not the US on the bottom, not when it comes to the military.

Or the churches.

Or the imprisonment of our own citizens.

Or…

The fact that he’s a conservative Christian politician means that there is only one possible place his mind could have been - between America’s legs.

7 Likes

Or “Up against the ropes”, if you wanted to keep with the sports metaphor.

10 Likes

America is both people in this image.

6 Likes

Exactly.

Fair point.

Damn near Freudian, even.

But whatevs; you’re correct in that they’ve both said far worse.

Still that does nothing to ‘reassure’ me about the dubious way people like that seem to think.

Moving on now, as I’m not really interested in playing ‘the devil’s advocate’ with anyone today.

2 Likes

2 Likes

6 Likes

8 Likes

Says the guy who is a connoisseur of copulating with rats.

10 Likes

Trump is a racist idiot, but I really hate Cruz. His hard line attitude means he hasn’t accomplished anything. His whole bullshit is to undo everything Obama has done, regardless of the consequences and cut taxes and government to the bone, again without concern for the future. I’m hoping Trump wins republican and that Clinton can just tear his apart. Wish it could be Sanders but the party won’t let him in.

2 Likes

Since we elected a black (and ostensibly liberal, no less!) president, duh! How much lower could the US of A sink? (At least that’s been a Republican message since he got elected.)

6 Likes

Yes, let some of them tell it, our last POTUS has been “even worse than slavery.”

2 Likes

Oh, it’s a wrestling metaphor. I was thinking yoga.

And believe me, Lady Liberty wearing Lululemon yoga pants is just too weird a mental image, even for me. Although there are probably people who get off on that kind of thing.

1 Like

There are worse images to envision:

12 Likes

Careful there, Ted won’t approve of that.

https://twitter.com/clmazin/status/720259227067920385

9 Likes

Jesus—those eyes. Lady Liberty has seen some shit.

1 Like