Teenager dies from hickey

Too much facial hair, never going to happen to me.

1 Like

Veins go to the heart. You can’t have suction on an artery because it’s pressurized. Now, a blood clot being pushed through the carotid artery, maybe, but the carotid is an inch below the skin — there’s no way that a hickey is going to penetrate that deep.

And a blood clot in a vein would create suction and then travel to the heart, yes, but it would then get lodged in the lungs (like the risk that the Mayo Clinic describes for deep vein thrombosis). Travelling from the jugular, down to the heart, through the lungs, back into the heart, and then making its way back up into the brain?

I’m going to have to agree with @Giorgio_Xenofonte and call this one BS.

13 Likes

Aquatic bagpipes?

3 Likes

@doctorow seems to be a big hickies advocate.

Same with @waetherman

1 Like

The snopes entry looks inconclusive for now, neither a green or red status:

1 Like

According to neurologist Dr. Mitchell Elkind, direct pressure on the carotid artery could cause a tear in the vessel, loosing a blot clot that reach the brain.

See, that sounds plausible.

There has been at least one other recorded case of a hickey-caused stroke, an incident in Auckland, New Zealand in 2011 in which a 44-year-old woman was partially paralyzed after a “love bite” on her neck caused a blood clot which ended up in her heart.

And that sounds plausible.

But from the neck, to the heart, and then back to the brain? Not buying it.

2 Likes

Dear God I fucking hate them. My first girlfriend in high school used to love giving them to me, in spite of my protests. She was older so didn’t have to endure what I did at school. General amusement at first, then just rolling eyes.

2 Likes

Well, that sucks

Ba dum tisssh! (I’ll let my self out…)

4 Likes

I gotta admit, I thought they were No Longer A Thing. I’d thought they died out when we GenXers realized that they look silly and don’t feel particularly sexy.

2 Likes

They scream “Eighties” to me as loudly as Duran Duran and clipping the sides of my head with a number one shear.

4 Likes

I really did burn my neck with curling iron as a teen-ager and apparently this excuse was common enough for my mom to know because in no way did she believe me.

I rarely lough out loud at responses, but dude, this one made me spit my water.

4 Likes

Someday you’re gonna have to face the fact that your parents fucked.

Seems fake. Not sure how this qualifies as a “wonderful thing.” Disappointed.

See, this is where you are wrong. I demand to willfully ignore this in perpetuity.

6 Likes

I think that’s pretty much the reason. Also, if the receiver wishes to brag, it’s evidence that they’ve been making out with someone.

5 Likes

Yeah, but still: 44-year-old giving or getting hickeys? I’ve had a whole lotta sex with a whole lotta different people since the last time I gave or received a hickey.

3 Likes

Some people find the sensation sexy. That’s all there is. It’s just like any other turn-on. I’m not clear how age is supposed to factor into it.

2 Likes

It’s not (generally) about the marks at all. It’s a sensation some people find sexy that happens to also leave a mark.

4 Likes

I would rather go from something a little bit more home-runnish.

2 Likes

Even if it doesn’t kill you, it can lead to Cooties!

1 Like