Temperature in Oklahoma reaches 99 degrees in mid-February

Absolute zero? This is getting more and more confusing.

16 Likes

9 Likes

With that sort of temperature differential we cloud get all the energy we need without having to resort to fossil fuels!

6 Likes

It tied the state record, set in 1918.

1 Like

Also stateable in the form “weather != climate, but lots of weather is climate”

3 Likes

Breaking a decades old record once every few years is “unseasonable weather.”

Is not the same as…

Breaking “since record-keeping began” records on a monthly or weekly basis, for years on end.

ETA: I see that @teknocholer already said that, and more concisely, above :thumbsup:

8 Likes

Although with 365 days in the year, and less than 365 years of records, the odds of breaking a record for a date aren’t THAT bad.

3 Likes

I confess, you just nerd-sniped me :blush:

My first inclination is to assert that record-setting weather, in a stable climate, wouldn’t be expected to work that way.

But since I’ve been nerd-sniped, I want to set up a simulation that would generate random high temperatures, with seasonal variation, then run a few centuries of simulation and see what the trend is for breaking records.

4 Likes

Yes, but with far more than twelve years of records, the odds of breaking1 hottest month records in twelve months in a row strictly due to coincidence are pretty terrible.

1Okay, technically (after they corrected the data downward by 0.05 degrees Celsuis), June 2016 didn’t break a record. Still, the odds of eleven months in a twelve month stretch make it nearly impossible that this is anything other than a prolonged trend.

4 Likes

At least it’s confirmed that Oklahoma definitely is a red state.

9 Likes

And of course what really matters is the normal variation…Do daily high temperatures follow a “normal” curve? Or some other pattern. But one or two “all time records” when you only have ~100 years of good records may not be statistically significant. I just don’t know enough to judge.

2 Likes

Ironic, since the Oklahoma panhandle was ground zero of the Dust Bowl of the Dirty Thirties. It was probably the most graphic example in US history of the effect man can have on the environment and the devastating economic effects that result. Good to see that history didn’t go to waste.

13 Likes
7 Likes

Spreading commie lies is high treason, Citizen. Please report to the nearest self termination booth.

7 Likes

May I reword some of Terry Pratchett’s work to fit current times?

Trump is wonderful. He provokes wonder.
Trump is marvellous. He causes marvels.
Trump is fantastic. He creates fantasies.
Trump is glamorous. He projects glamour.
Trump is enchanting. He weaves enchantment.
Trump is terrific. He begets terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said Trump is nice.

Trump is bad.

(thanks to @nimelennar for reminding me of the original)

8 Likes

I suppose that one should compare the number of record highs and the number of record lows over a decade and on a global scale. In fact, I’ll bet that is the sort of thing the climate scientists have been doing for decades that has convinced them that the globe is warming.

3 Likes

That sounds plausible. Where might I find this data?

1 Like

there sure is a lot of climate lately.

2 Likes
1 Like

"warm weather in normally cold months disrupts ecosystems"
Sounds like a hoax to me. God created ecosystems, and man cannot change them. The upcoming Dust Bowl is purely a fabrication, I know that because Rev. Billy Bob Brownback told me so.

2 Likes