Temporary open air urinals installed outside of bars in Victoria, British Columbia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/13/temporary-open-air-urinals-ins.html

4 Likes

I first saw this type of thing in Amsterdam 20 years ago and think it’s brilliant, but that thing looks a little… tippy.

13 Likes

I like the idea of “temporary” placement. Use when needed for large scale events and remove later lessening the impact on a community who may not want to look at or smell permanent pissoirs. Much like the placement of port-a-potties for events.

2 Likes

Well, yes, but even drunk women have the good sense to use the between-of-cars public urinals that are provided freely.

5 Likes

Presumably these only exist to stop drunk men from pissing on walls, so they don’t really care that women also urinate.

7 Likes

what is the wind chill on those air urinals anyway?

1 Like

I remember visiting Sydney (Australia) about 15 years ago and thinking the pay-per-use bathroom booths they had at the time were genius. Those were much more substantial though, being fully enclosed booths. I assume they still have them.

Actually, my first thought upon seeing one was “$2 to go to the bathroom? What a ripoff”. It was only after spending five hours in the pub that my perspective changed.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I’m very much looking forward to the YouTube videos of drunk dudes pouring these things on their friends.

10 Likes

But is piss on a wall worse than piss on the pavement? I get that it’s probably more common, but it’s less of a stepping hazard.

2 Likes

“The City also seems to be unaware that women urinate.”

Women glisten.

9 Likes

tenor%20(2)

1 Like

City also seems unaware that a sizable fraction of the men outside the bars will view the ‘peeosk’ as an impediment to soaking the wall and sidewalk.

2 Likes

We call them alleyways in the US

1 Like

This was actually my first thought. That works great for the guys, I think my wife might have a bit of an issue with this design, though. Can’t wait for the “Well, women shouldn’t be out on the streets at night anyway…”

2 Likes

In some states in the US just using one of these open air urinals could get you arrested for exposure and permanently listed as a registered sex offender. US laws are pretty broad in some areas about what constitutes a sex offense.

7 Likes

According to these industrious lads, women glow and men plunder

10 Likes

From the old saying:

“Horses sweat, men perspire and women glisten.”

The City also seems to be unaware that women urinate.

Mr Collopy will get on this as soon as he is done outfitting Dublin.

Well, women tend not to piss in the streets to the same degree men piss on buildings/walls. (And I suspect urine on walls may be more problematic to clean up, which is why hydrophobic paints are also a popular means of dissuasion.)

4 Likes