Temporary open air urinals installed outside of bars in Victoria, British Columbia

It was in the EULA you activate by peeing into the urinal.

I know a few women that would accept this pee challenge before getting stuck and tipping over. And then the night is over real fast.

2 Likes

So, since it would appear as though one would be totally exposed when using a peeosk, it really isn’t about the indecency factor at all.

Perhaps the bars could hand out some of these to their female patrons??

3 Likes

Half a solution is better than no solution.

Comments about women also having to pee is just the sort of thing that got something similar shut down in Vancouver. So basically your’e saying nobody deserves to pee until everyone gets to pee. Which means men will just continue to pee not where they should.

1 Like

So since it is pretty easy for men to pee anywhere but rather difficult for women to do the same. The best half solution would be one that is just for women.

5 Likes

New football tradition!

football

7 Likes

This is not being done for the convenience of drunk men. It’s being done for the sake of everyone who has to deal with the results of public urination.

4 Likes

You don’t think drunk ladies don’t ever discover they should have gone pee before leaving the bar? And then too many blocks away have an oh no, I’m peeing now, no matter what moment? In fact various factors such as previously giving birth can cause this issue sans any alcohol. In both cases I have done the double hand hold as they try to pee and not get it on their pants, while they pee in public. I remember one friend felt pretty smart for sitting on some building’s venting system with her pants around her ankles as the pee went somewhere that probably wasn’t good.

Both genders have the ability to cause a public problem.

2 Likes

Except in the verses where “women glow, and men chunder.”

2 Likes

Yes they can.

One does so much more often in practice.

I would much prefer adequate toilet access for all. But I don’t think that in itself is a reason to oppose these.

1 Like

Yes, I prefer access for all as well. Someone else upthread, decided though that a pee place for one gender was better than nothing (and for some reason unspecified, a solution that allows everyone to pee, will mean to no one can pee, so it should definitely be just men that get to pee, because, misogyny) so this is great for men, everyone stop complaining now.

Thus I suggested, if this is an either or situation then maybe it should be only women.

4 Likes

It strikes me that your username would actually make a pretty great brand name for this category of products…

1 Like

There’s a famous parking lot in Dallas that would agree. Not only do a lot of unauthorized people park there and get towed, but plenty of ladies and gentlemen also like to use it as a facility for testing the effects of urine on masonry.

OK. I live here and until recently worked downtown. I’d like to clear a couple things up from direct experience:

1. Mayor (and council members too) are women and they are aware that women pee too.

https://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/city/mayor-council.html

1. Men have been the primary problem around non-official “peeosks” (eg: normal wall, normal doorway) This isn’t a fix for everything just a large percentage of a problem demographic.

2. I used to work around the corner from a former unofficial peeosk and the intro of these changed it almost overnight (years ago when they started this). Suddenly, it stopped having a gross per smell and went to a garbagey soda smell but it was an improvement.

3. They don’t offer much in the way of privacy so it’s not really encouraging people to pee outside, just getting people who were going to do it in one manageable spot.

Think problem reduction not problem solution.

4 Likes

Women typically have more class than to piss in the street.

these are way better than the bucket they are using. Could have a pee funnel dispenser for the ladies as well!

1 Like

It’s not that we have more class - it’s that it’s far more awkward and obvious when we do it.

6 Likes

I have been very skeptical of the ban on men being allowed to use washrooms in Victoria and think that women should also be required to go outside, instead, if they have been drinking.

At Burning Man they have extensive public outreach around “if it wasn’t in your body, it doesn’t belong in the potty”. Given that this literally looks like a garbage can, I am guessing they have some serious toxic waste left in the vacuum filters, Eh?

Famous, eh?