Tender arthropod: mama centipede cradles her young

Great. Now I have to change my shirt AND my pants.

11 Likes

“There may be people who like centipedes… Personally, I would regard such an individual with deep suspicion. I have just petted my cat: “And how is this good little cat beast?” Now what sort of man or woman or monster would stroke a centipede on his underbelly? “And here is my good big centipede!” If such a man exists, I say kill him without more ado. He is a traitor to the human race.”
― William S. Burroughs, The Western Lands

What I think of every time I see mention of centipedes, and damned if I can argue with it.

12 Likes

(Looks at photo of mother tenderly cradling her young)
(Looks at reactions to it not being an animal children were taught to appreciate)

I hope there are no aliens out there, because there is no chance in hell first contact will go well.

11 Likes

Alien is a relative term! Everybody is alien to somebody.

Indeed! I meant alien relative to earthlings, of whom I will note this parent is a far more typical representative than I am.

2 Likes

A “wet” nightmare, admittedly.

4 Likes

My previous house had lots of these. Initially, I freaked out when I was in the basement and had one about three inches long crawl over my bare foot! But, reading up on them, they seemed like good allies to have around, so I let them be. I just had to remind myself that any sheets of paper which fell on the floor of my basement workshop were deluxe tents which the centipedes would inevitably crawl under. Once I got over that surprise, it was fine.

6 Likes

Centipede glamping!

4 Likes

Was the lizard’s name KiKi?

2 Likes

For all the win.

8 Likes

Lobsters were never considered a delicacy until the last 100 years or so, so it’s a recent development in the course of history. They’d always been considered one of the worst things to eat, and were generally fed to prisoners. There were even laws drafted to limit how much lobster could be offered in prisons because it was considered a sub-par food source.

3 Likes

Well played, sir!

1 Like

Say a little more. I mean, they’re nasty things – but compared to dealing with a wasp or something, talk to me about what it takes to rid yourself of one. Do they come after you? Do they hide in tough spots?

1 Like

And don’t you think puppies would be WAY tastier?

Think about it!

What’s wrong with you people? Eating puppies? Don’t think about that!

10 Likes

well. now I will refuse to sleep for 3 straight days. lovely.

Most insects are fairly low key and will avoid confrontation. Giant centipedes are irritable, fast moving, can be aggressive and they are poisonous (it’s not deadly but its apparently very very painful). Mind you they won’t go out of your way to attack a human, but unlike a millipedes or most spiders you don’t want a giant carnivorous centipede roaming around your house. They will prey on rodents, snakes, frogs and birds… sooo… yeah. Don’t ignore one that has gotten inside the home.

PS: This probably doesn’t apply to ALL centipedes but the giant carnivorous variety is not a cuddly thing. Oh and to get rid of them, i don’t know what the best method is, i just killed them but it’s difficult because stomping on them seems to only make them mad. You have to really put some effort into it. You gotta get them before they hide under or inside something in the home.

7 Likes

That and shrimp usually reproduce in the dozens or hundreds at a time.

But shrimp fishing is more damaging to the environment since they are a major food source for pretty much anything bigger than itself. Overfishing them endangers a whole bunch of other species. Shrimp aquaculture has far less of such an effect.

As for seal vs veal. If seal were domesticated as livestock, the objection would no longer remain. As a wild food/fur source, there is far more concern as to how they reach the market.

1 Like

The put up less of a fight than kittens

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kittens+fighting&view=detailv2&&id=781B47F81F799187D536233A2002B098850E3BF3&selectedIndex=4&ccid=iZsZCBqD&simid=608012351720000132&thid=OIP.M899b19081a83cf20f8a5f7e975f2cd5fH0&ajaxhist=0

Lobster roll sandwiches used to be were what poor fisherman’s kids packed for their lunch in New England.

2 Likes