Tennessee Republicans hold a book burning to destroy Harry Potter, Twilight, and other "demonic" titles

21 Likes

b16_ezgif-3-42897b7e57d2

Cat_A

ezgif-3-b16bd1176a

16 Likes

They do that, only because they otherwise couldn’t hold down a real job.

1 Like

fucking-embarrassing-coach

13 Likes

No. They do it because they have a political agenda that includes rolling back any and all progress made for those of us who are not white, straight, cisgendered men.

Stop acting like this is about some people being stupid and start acting like this is about those of us who are not white men being directly attacked.

16 Likes

Yes.

11 Likes

I wasn’t making fun of the books and did not mean to demean the fans. It’s aimed at emasculating whatever religio-bro culture sees any of these things as a threat. Young women are shaking f’d up institutions to their core and this is getting mighty close to a witch hunt.

Anticipating Church of Satan bible burning…

8 Likes

So… one has a religious right to burn materials that are a threat to their religious rights and freedoms…?

My argument would be that assholes like this are a threat to everyone’s religious rights and freedoms.

Time to toss some Tennessee fascists on the fire!

7 Likes

madeline kahn flames GIF

5 Likes

Thinking Think GIF by The official GIPHY Page for Davis Schulz

7 Likes

Can I just say, that is a horrible translation. It pays no heed to tenses, making a punchy straightforward statement into a convoluted one about book burnings in the past rather than the present.

Where they burn books, they end up burning people. There you go. Much closer to the original and similarly impactful.

20 Likes

Or they just fell out of use or were misused because education hard for some folks…

7 Likes

But do you think they were always like that? I often wonder about the moral evolution of people like that. But, no, I do not think they were born out of a vacuum.

No president is ever going to allow the IRS to go after a christian or jewish faith organization. Ever.

Yes.

They were always like that.

No one said they were born out of a vacuum. They don’t believe that they are morally wrong, they believe they are morally correct and the rest of us are morally wrong.

But my point is that it has nothing to do with intelligence, it’s more to do with ideology. They’ve come to believe that they are “god’s elect” and that the country is being attacked by forces that is undermining the moral authority of god.

I think if we just dismiss them as “ignorant” or “stupid” it undermines our attempts to deal with them as a force in society. The reality is that many people in the US are religious, and as such, these sorts of arguments can sway them. Just dismissing them does not help.

12 Likes

Or for that matter, a good old fashioned ‘witch’ burning. /s

5 Likes

But are you including grifters? That’s the possibility I was originally alluding to. It’s often difficult to discern a grifter from a “true believer” when you’re on the outside looking in.

I’d argue that given the end result, it hardly matters - it’s the old “rule of goats” by Ken White… or a correlary to it maybe… that intent doesn’t matter as much the outcome in things like this…

9 Likes

For me, this is hard to comprehend, though.
Intelligence, for me, includes empathy and the innate desire to educate oneself.
And I am obviously stood enough not to be able to comprehend that there are intelligent people who can fall for this kind of ideology.

Everything what I just wrote is problematic, when I reconsider.
Still can’t get rid of it: of one falls for inhuman ideology, one feels stupid to me.

1 Like