Tennessee Republicans hold a book burning to destroy Harry Potter, Twilight, and other "demonic" titles

Thanks it wasn´t a vital organ!

5 Likes

About TX instead of TN, but still relevant…

from

Another one…

from

You might look down on people who read twillight (because, I guess, dumb teenaged girls or whatever), but this kind of thing isn’t a fucking joke. No book should be burned because some right wingers feel it will “corrupt” young minds. This is not acceptable, whatever we think of the books in question.

30 Likes

I would say this is yet another example of @Mindysan33 ´s theory that some people are using dystopian science fiction as a model for the future. But unfortunately, burning books is a very old tradition.

Fahrenheit 451 Movie GIF

16 Likes

“It tells me that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try reading books instead of burning them.”

16 Likes

Yep. Very true. Often such tactics were used to erase the history of previous governments in empires…

15 Likes

First you ban books,
Then you burn books,
Then you burn people.
~ Alsep Bahar Moridamus

13 Likes

I’d just like to mention that Tennessee’s governor called for a new law to make library holdings “visible to parents” and a librarian had to tell him libraries already have publicly available catalogs.

27 Likes

Nice clapback, but it doesn’t matter to him and his constituents (who only hear him, not actual facts, well-informed opinions, etc.)

17 Likes

Of course they did. Nazis love a good book burning.

5 Likes

Next the governor should demand some sort of numbering system so they can know exactly where in the library the books are.

19 Likes

Re: Book bannings & burnings…
…“The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”
Previn Lal-SMAC

8 Likes

While these creeps worry me I also see stunts like this as fund raisers for losers like the reverend here. Pathetic bastard is completely willing to bring down democracy to make a buck. Soulless trash.

1 Like

Who’s got those FUUUUUUUUUCK!!! GIFs? We need all of them, stat!
~~Not just Mad, but Angry.

11 Likes

Angry Hate GIF

Angry Work GIF

Angry Star Trek GIF

Angry Ufc GIF

Angry Stay Away GIF by HBO Max

24 Likes

These guys haven’t stepped foot in a public library in decades, if at all.

7 Likes

His Trump-loving congregation tossed copies of Harry Potter and Twilight books into the fire

Rather, ‘surprisingly good-taste-having’ congregation …

3 Likes

This would be the same Greg Locke who claims that autism is, in fact, also demonic possession?

Yeah, he’s already laying the groundwork for Gilead’s own Aktion T4.

15 Likes

Whatever happened to churches needing to stay apolitical to maintain their tax exempt status? Is that not a thing anymore? Was it never a thing and just some myth I learned at some point and never questioned?

8 Likes

They’d throw Doctor Faustus on the fire if they’d heard of it.

2 Likes

If only we could get them to use ebooks.

Book burning

25 Likes